Author Topic: maple any good?  (Read 2460 times)

Offline NTProf

maple any good?
« on: November 07, 2009, 11:08:54 am »
Would hard maple work for a narrower, longer bow from a sapling? I am thinking about saplings around 1 1/2" (see Milan's hazelnut bow) and was wondering if maple would stand up to the higher crown of a smaller diameter sapling. Would I just need to go longer (70-72")? Or should I look for other woods?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: maple any good?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 11:49:52 am »
At that length it should be OK. Try to make the belly a bit more flat and that should also help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTProf

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:21:08 pm »
Thanks, Pat.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 12:35:39 pm »
I'd have to say that maple is by far my favourite whitewood. I've made several dozen bows from it, without a single failure. It excels with a wide and flat profile, and I usually make the limbs a minimum of 1.5"... 66" to 68" in length has also given me the best results. I've backed maple with just about everythig, including hickory, rawhide, silk, and canvas. I keep the draw weight <50#, and set has been very minimal. Most of the bows have had a rigid handle, with symmetric tiller. I've even used edge grained maple as a backing strip with osage with terrific result. Botom line? I love maple.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:17:36 pm by adb »

Offline bambule

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 01:35:58 pm »
Me too, Maple is a great bowwood. Iit's excellent for Holmegaard/Möllegabet-Designs. The wood is so light that you can have a handshockfree Bow with wide limbs over 3/4 of the limblength.
I've build up to 55#. But adb is right - more than 50# is not suitable for maple, except you have really good wood. You can temper maple carefully - too much gives frets.
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 10:44:29 pm »
Yup Maple is great from my limited experience. I induced a little reflex and heat treated with excellent results.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

radius

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 10:52:45 pm »
i've used it as a core wood on r/d bows that turned out not too bad

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 07:17:36 am »
Maple should make a fine sapling bow as long as you have a clean back. High crown's with knots on the back have spelled disaster for me in the past. Hard maple makes a great  self bow.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 08:13:31 am »
NTProf.......I have made several from Hard Rock....Sugar....and Birdseye Maple and had no trouble with them...I have them made from Branches and also made from Decrowned Stave also....If they have a Steep Back or Knots.....when I Decrown them...I always Back them with Rawhide though...To me Maple makes a Beautiful Mid Weight Selfbow....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline barebo

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 06:22:48 pm »
I made a Hard Maple longbow from a 5" tree - sapling may be smaller. The one I cut was clear and straight, and made a sweet bow.
1-3/4" fades to 1/2" tips -67" ntn - pulls an honest 66#@28", but no stack and REALLY casts an arrow. Maple is a great wood, but it's gotta be hard/rock, and not soft Maple.

Offline NTProf

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 10:47:46 am »
Thanks everyone. I thnk I will try about 1 3/4" to 2" wide and about 66-68 inches long. I have had good luck with maple boards, but want to try maple saplings (i do not have the tools to work with over 3" saplings/trees).