Author Topic: W.O. & New stuff.  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Parnell

W.O. & New stuff.
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:49:27 am »
Heya,

I'm working on a white oak board bow.  I flipped the tips with dry heat and it started to raise a splinter, but I filed it down and there is pretty much no trace.  Also, I steamed the riser section and gave it a bit of reflex with a jig.  It's not quite even but I don't think I want to press it much more.  Also, I just got a hackberry stave.  That's coming up.  Anyone have two cents to offer on tricks?  I included a couple pictures of other stuff - couple new heads and a bunch of various cane materials I've gathered in the top quiver.  I'm going to post some questions on that tomorrow - in arrows.

The grain on the white oak you'll see.  Is steam heat or dry heat better for flipping tips on white oak?

Parnell

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: W.O. & New stuff.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 10:03:02 am »
I would go with the white oak stave as it is now. Get the limbs bending well and evenly. Leave the tips as they are and the handle area wide. You can make minor adjustments later as needed in these areas and its not necessary or advised to reduce them until your limbs are tillered . Once you get the limbs bending well and to a low brace height you can heat treat the belly to induce some more reflex if needed and make side to side adjustments if needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 12:59:19 am »
 Thanks, Pat.  Worked on it more tonight, so far-so good.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 02:55:34 am »
Hey Pat B,

This is where I got it, now.  It's kept the flipped tips uneven.  I'll know more for the next run.
I'm on a learning curve. 

I've been tiller'rn'r to where the wood is 55#@23",  filed some edges and exercised - but didn't remaysure the weight.

I'm thinking of putting on a split bamboo riser on the back and belly, wrapped up-r somethin.

All thoughts, appreciated, fellas.

Parnell

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 03:29:30 am »
P.s. Hey Oldbow - not done, yet.  Hope you're enjoying the journey.
1’—>1’

Offline NTProf

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 09:40:59 am »
I have a white oak board I am thinking of working on. What are the dimensions of yours?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 10:09:36 am »
She looks real good at brace. Will you post a pic at 23"?  If it looks good there I'd say shoot it a bunch and check it again.    Your handle area looks like it would stay stiff so you should be able to add the riser and back overlay.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTProf

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 04:24:51 pm »
I like the handel just the way it is now, but that is just me - I like my bows plain and simple.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 06:08:42 pm »
My wife is my photographer and she has been out of commission with back surgery - that's why I haven't posted the drawn pics, yet.  I'll try to see if I can get one this evening. 

NTProf - Dimensions are - 67" long 1.75 wide limbs fading down to under .5  over the last 14 inches or so.  The board was an inch thick.    Basically, the design for the flatbow from TBB1 with the handle steam and flips.

I'll post more later.  Thanks, guys.   
1’—>1’

radius

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 10:44:52 pm »
i agree with NTprof.  simple handle =good.  but i'm glad to see ur working the oak, Parnell.  At 1.75" wide ur good to go, 55 at 28, and if you heat temper the wood at about 25 or so, it'll turn out to require less mass to make the same strength of bow, and so the arrows will fly faster.