Author Topic: Hemp Backing?  (Read 11552 times)

Offline bushman

Hemp Backing?
« on: November 06, 2009, 12:39:36 am »
I have read a few post that said people have used ether hemp cloth and hemp thread to back a bow. I can’t remember what post it was where I read them now though. I was wondering what type of hemp cloth was used? Only hemp cloth I now of is Burlap. Has anyone ever tried to use hemp baler twine to back a bow? It is farley strong, well its got to be cuase it works just fine for 80 pound to 100 hay bales.
Bushman

orcbow

Re: Hemp Backing?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 08:01:04 am »
I bought some hemp canvas once that was fairly coarse, but tight weave. And very strong, I have used it alot and it is great. I have seen tension breaks happen under it and the hemp canvas did not tear. Hemp baler twine would probably work too. I've never seen it, and though it is probably plenty strong, the only danger is that you put too much on and add unnecessary weight. I have backed bows with hemp string, were I glue on string one by one, until the back is covered. I used cheap white school glue, and then when dried I soak the string with 2 or 3 coats of shellac to water proof.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:05:30 am »
Burlap is made from jute. Hemp is hemp.  I've never backed a bow with hemp cord. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:09:14 am »
I have.  There is a fabric available now sold as hemp summer cloth.  Used to make light wieght clothing. It is sold by the yard on ebay.  Weight is 5.5 oz per yard (raw silk cloth is 4.5 oz per yard).  A little pricey.  $20 for a piece 36x58". 

Dave

Offline BearG

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 12:39:26 pm »
You could try flax I got some from one of the guys at the Twin Oaks classic,  looks kinda cool .
I"ve been tring to source more but but not to many spiners here in Cincinnati. 
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 03:48:04 pm »
BTW hemp will make a good backing according to the TBB's. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline MaceG

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 05:19:47 pm »
Saw some hemp cord at Hobby Lobby.
Set happens - Jawge

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 05:38:21 pm »
I have not use hemp for backing but I do use hemp cord for handle wraps. It is very strong so I would guess that it would work as a backing if you lay it length ways side by side over the bows back. One thing to think about, because it is very strong and doesn't stretch much it may overpower a bow made of weaker wood or if put on too thickly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

half-eye

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 04:11:46 pm »
I have made a couple of bows that were backed with hemp twine (bailing twine) will send you some photos if you'd like...one was a 45# 50" Modoc style with a rigid handle. The bow turns out like it is backed with tree bark, it's tough, unique and works really good to back short types of native bows. It also works very well for grip wrapping...either by itself or underneath a leather grip.
half eye

[attachment deleted by admin]

half-eye

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 06:31:38 pm »
got your email and answered that....cant change the bow photos (read-only) to a foremat small enough to post here, but the bow pic I did post IS backed with hemp twine (running the length of the limb). but if you ever want to try bark you may want to try elm (inner) bark, dry it and split it just like sinew (see photo) it looks just like dried sinew and it's bout as tough....except it will turn out the color of elm wood, if you glued it on with tite-bond covered with a good oil finish or lacquer....ought to be tough as nails.
half eye

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 09:06:15 pm »
Half-eye,

.cant change the bow photos (read-only) to a foremat small enough to post here

Why not right click on the file got to properties, got to attributes at the bottom of the page and change if from read by clearing the box, for windows systems only.

Then you can edit it to your hearts content, I would make a copy and edit that.

Craig.

half-eye

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 10:00:50 pm »
CMB,
       Thank you for the tip, the old guy's greatfull
half eye

half-eye

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 11:33:07 pm »
CMB,
     Thanks for the tip....a little different on my system but got it done. Here are the pics of the hemp backed bow and one more of dried split elm bark (inner) I used this stuff once and when the titebond was thuroughly dry it held that induced reflex really well and took the bow from 35# to 45#. I haven't made any more but that is my experience with this stuff. I believe its really tough because the elm grain is all intertangled and has very little stretch....the hemp backing does have more give but still adds to the performance.
half eye

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 11:58:29 pm »
Half-eye,

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Craig.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 04:16:41 am »
Half-eye, I really like painted bows; I bad there where both painted and unpainted since the days of the Holmegaard till today.
Frank from Germany...