Author Topic: Little Penobscot  (Read 7448 times)

Offline Kegan

Little Penobscot
« on: November 03, 2009, 06:13:11 pm »
Built this one for some scratch, not sure if the deal is done though. Had to show this one though :)

It's about 45" between the nocks, 61# at 22". The back bow is hickory, the main bow is white oak, FF cbales and string. Actually, I prefer the main bow itself, doesn't stack as much. Pretty neat little bow though. Shoots well enough for a short bow (again, I prefer the main bow alone), but I don't know what kind of arrows it wants. Anyway, had to show it off :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kayakfisher

Re: Little Penobscot
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 06:22:55 pm »
cool looking little bow good job.
                                    Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 06:42:48 pm »
pretty cool  Keegan!!!!   I 've been wondering why no one ever builds these here, yours looks great!  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 06:54:27 pm »
Nice job Kegan, how did you attach the two bows, other than the wrap.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline PeteC

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 08:31:37 pm »
Good job on that bow Kegan,I really like it.I'm gonna have to try one . God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline woodstick

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:04:02 pm »
i dont know crap bout that kinda bow does the little bow on front have some kinda effect on what? it looks cool.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 10:37:15 pm »
Sweet bow Kegan. Tiller looks great and the recurves just right . Congratulations

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 11:35:12 pm »
I like the bow a lot but I don't know what the benefit of that style? 

-Ky
GBR!

radius

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 12:00:24 am »
i like working with white oak, how wide are the limbs again?  good stretchy wood if wide enough, i have found.  I wonder too how deep the handle is with that reflex bow added to the back?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 12:32:39 am »
Cool little bow, Kegan. A bit out of character for you but cool none the less!  ;)  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 03:10:43 am »
COOL...
Frank from Germany...

radius

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 03:34:10 am »
HOW much yu charging for them things?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 08:02:36 am »
Very cool and always interesting to see something out of character.  So the back bow adds stack?  Do you think you'd build it longer if again?

1’—>1’

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 01:29:15 pm »
Thanks all :). I know the bow's quite different from what I normally do, but it sure was fun at the end (kinda makes me want to make a little Indian bow now.

Dano- Just a wrap. I was intending to put a strip a leather between them, but I didn't have any handy when I was tying them. The finish makes a creak now though, my bad.

Woodstick and Ky- A penobscot, or perhaps I should say a well built Penobscot, has the benefit of being lighter (in mass) on the outter limbs for the weight you're pulling. For example, even though the main bow would only pull 40#, you would be pulling maybe 60#. That means that all the extra mass for the weight would be short and therefore low in inertia. Of course, being so short those effects are sorta nill- but that's what he wanted. Might have to try a longer version next... >:D

Radius- the limbs are actually only about 1 1/2" wide being so short- I made it from an abandoned long bow. Dunno how deep the handle is, it's sorta square- so about 1 1/4". But I like white oak too. I'm only charging $50. Between school and bows-for-scratch though, I think I'll need to raise the price a little!

Parnell- Yeah. The main bow itself stacks, but the little bow comes to flat agains the main bow adding alot of stack. I thin if I did alot of reflex with a sinew bakcing it would be better, but for the price I think that would be a little much.

Offline Dano

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 04:19:31 pm »
Thanks Kegan, I have seen some with the two bows pinned with dowels, I wondered if that was necessary.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada