Author Topic: Problem Completing Bows?  (Read 3800 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Problem Completing Bows?
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:40:22 am »
Does anyone else have a problem with actually completing bows? i get them roughed out, or floor tillered, or even shootable and then i usually get another idea to start another one, and i switch directions. Now i do finish plenty of bows, but it always seems like i have 8 to 12 bows going at any one time, does anyone else have this "problem" or are you a start one bow, finish one bow kind of guy, then move on to the next one?

i do have a reason for some of this though, my garage shop is uninsulated and unheated, and in minnesota that means i don't spend a lot of time out there in the winter, but if i get a few bows roughed out and floor tillered now, then i can work on them in the house through the winter.
45# at 27"

Offline woodstick

Re: Problem Completing Bows?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 12:02:34 pm »
i make one bow at a time i have went bake and reworked a finished bow that was not what i wanted , maybe just some stain or a little more sanding really nothing major.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 12:25:47 pm »
Gopher, I think what you describe is pretty normal for those of us with "the affliction." ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 01:12:32 pm »
Just wanted to say anyone of us on here probably have one or more projects going on at one time I myself have started a few bows, maybe had one on the tiller one on a form steaming a tip one being glued up etc... but in ur case I think u need to prioritize ur goals!  I think u should number ur bows write down everything u got going on and see which ones can be completed! Pick  a number and complete that bow for the day!  It can be a game and and it may be fun to try!  I myself live in a freezing upstate Newyork in the middle of the Catskill Mountains!  We get tons of snow and although its a hassle I cant wait cause thats when I slow down from working 90+ hours a week seven day and get a chance to catch up on my bow making Ive been trying to complete one bow just ONE bow for a friend Ken75 who which made me some very nice arrows for deer season and only got to go out 3 times... and it broke..ouch thanx ken for being patient... My point for rambling on is to get all ur stuff in order and make a goal to finish one project first before starting any other ones!  U'll find urself getting ahead of the game and will feel better that ur getting things done!!!

CHEERS!!!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 01:23:59 pm »
I have at least 8 projects going right now. One is almost 2 years old. I do this because I enjoy it. For that reason I work on what I feel like at the time from arrows to bows to flintknapping. I don't worry about finishing until I feel like finishing. It isn't about finishing or completing anything, it is about enjoying what you are doing.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 01:29:43 pm »
I usually work on one at a time, but if one needs time to recover from steaming, or more time to season, I might start roughing out another, or re-furbish an old bow or tart one up a bit.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 01:34:02 pm »
I asked this mostly in jest, although "the problem" is real i think i like it that way. debark a stave over hear, rough out a design i haven't tried yet over there, the constant change of pace keeps things interesting. don't get me wrong if i have a bow that needs to get done like for a gift or something,i'll work on that from start to finish, but when it's only for my own enjoyment then i tend to wander. i always pick a bow for a year or so and shoot that one for a while, so i am usually not in a position where i NEED to get a bow finished just for myself.

now only of work and sleep didn't get in the way of building bows.
45# at 27"

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 02:13:25 pm »
 What you have is a real and serious disease ;D  Check in immediately ;   http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,6591.msg91322.html#msg91322

Offline knap_123

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 02:33:54 pm »
gophere, i'm with you.  i jump around alot with all kinds of projects in the works.  and thats the wayi like it also. ;D

Offline Traxx

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 02:54:40 pm »
LOL!!!!!!!!!
Ive got bows started,that are not finished.Severall of em.Some of em are probly older than some of our members on here.LOL

Offline RyanY

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 03:19:08 pm »
I know what you mean. I usually have large time gaps in between the time I work on my bows and by the time I start to work on them again I have something else I want to start.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 06:11:07 pm »
Gopher

i do the same thing.like ya said,here in mn you dont want to be chasing a ring or debarking and roughing a stave out in january
when its -30* f outside.thats why i get sveral going and put aside,come winter work on them in the basement.
but i also do it for the same reasons like Justin stated, i do it 'casue i like to do it.work on whatever project whenever.
like tonight,no knapping no bow scraping.a guy at work asked to buy a primitive style arrow for hos brother for x-mas.
cant keep cash paying folks waiting,so tonight i make a couple of primtive arrows up( nice thing is shafts are alreday straight and have stone heads already attached)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 06:39:28 pm »
yeah I got about 3 going right now.   When I first started it was one bow at a time, now that I am into all this fancy heat-bending and tip overlays, laminates, heat treating and such there is a bunch more waiting time in between... perfect time to start another!   ;D   -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Stoker

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 06:57:12 pm »
I don't feel so bad now I thought I was the only one.The first step is addmitting you have a problem.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 07:06:43 pm »
I have many projects on the go at once. Keeps things from getting boring. Also, sometimes I can't find my way through a problem until I let it sit for awhile.