Author Topic: Drawwin Naves  (Read 1854 times)

Offline BigNocker

Drawwin Naves
« on: October 30, 2009, 07:10:15 pm »
I've seen alot of different ones available, from antique ones, to mildly expensive, to cheep ones from Harbor Freight tools.  Know with the little bit of knife stock removal experience I have, I know there is a huge difference in the quality of steel in knives and also the shape of handles.

Advise?  I would pay more for good steel if it is adviseable to do so, but I dont want to pay more for a crappy knife and I dont know much about the manufacturers.  I'd even buy an antique or old reconditioned one if they are good quality but I dont know how they stack up.

Maybe I should grind out my own draw knife?
"Hail to the king baby!" "Balls of steel"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Drawwin Naves
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 10:35:50 pm »
Look around a flea markets and second hand stores. I bought a Swedish push knife for $6 at a second hand store. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

banoch

Re: Drawwin Naves
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:56:22 pm »
Buy an old one. I buy most of mine off of ebay, a jennings brand is always a good knife. I have them with fixed and with folding handles.  Great tool. Don't be afraid to buy one with the folding handles either. Buy one with a slight curvature  to the blade, not straight. The ones with more of a teardrop shape handle  have always afforded me more control and are just more comfortable. These are just my opinions and preferences, except for the part about buying an old one, this is just the best way to go unless you have the $ to buy a new one with the quality of the old ones , and I mean $$$.$$
No matter how cheap they are do not spend any money on one of the those push knives either, they are beveled on both sides, I hates em. A draeknife with a single bevel is by far the better choice.