Author Topic: Amur Honeysuckle bow  (Read 2863 times)

Offline wodpow

Amur Honeysuckle bow
« on: October 30, 2009, 01:34:15 pm »
Has anyone made a Amur honeysuckle bow besides me

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: Amur Honeysuckle bow
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 03:07:21 pm »
No but I want to see it...  8)

-Ky
GBR!

Offline wodpow

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 03:25:07 pm »
I don't have it any more I gave it to a  kid who was watching me shoot it in my back yard he left and went back to live with his dad as his mom and dad are divorced and have joint custody. I has looking for shoot arrow wood on year and cut a nice straight limb from a big plant the wood was springy and hard made a nice bow might cut some more this winter as I will be able to see the limbs then.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 04:14:35 pm »
I've made arrows from it, but never tried a bow. Makes good arrows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline wodpow

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 05:11:21 pm »
'It would shoot a arrow pretty hard made it about 67"wondered why no one had made one before.The crown was kind of high but it was holding up when i gave it away pulled about 48#@28"

Offline richpierce

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 07:23:20 pm »
Mine exploded

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 07:46:39 am »
i have one with linen fabric backing. has naturally relexed tips and is a little long for safety sake. draws in the 50 lb. range. (havent tested on the scale, yet) it's a little sluggish, but that's what happens with overbuilt bows!

orcbow

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 10:07:32 am »
I have done some experiments with honeysuckle, since it grows prolifically in my city.  I did test it for its specific gravity, and it actually tops osage in this characteristic, but it seems to be weak in tension. My bows failed in tension, but were rather short and unbacked. I would definitely back a honeysuckle bow, and make it as long too.

Offline wodpow

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 06:05:55 pm »
mine was a rather big  bow for the poundage and looked like a throw back in time.  It shot a arrow ok  I just made it because that stuff  is everywhere and the natural bend made it look so natural for a bow. This winter I will cut enough to see what it can do , it is known to dull cutting tools if that means anything. Most limb bows I make anymore are silk or deer rawhide backed I had to put alot of the limb bows I have made to sleep after the back failed .Once you pop a ring  even a little it 's time to put it down. I have backed them and you can see the brake getting bigger under the backing .