Author Topic: Please show me your glue up methods/forms/etc...  (Read 5767 times)

Hornseeker

Please show me your glue up methods/forms/etc...
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:31:38 pm »
Alright, been building glass and carbon bows for about 4 years now and have come close to getting into au naturale bows several times... but this time I'm Serious!!! ::)

Are most of you gluing D/R into your blanks by just clamping the mid limbs over a 2X4 or do you have "proper forms" like I use with a glass bow...or what? I'd sure like to see some pics of your wood clamped down in glue up!

Also, I am going to start work on BBI real soon and probably some BBO too...but what other woods are appropriate to back with boo?

What are some of the most common, reliable sources of boo? Is there something I need to steer away from? I am looking at Franks and Master Garden... do you commonly get good boo from them? Is their 2" boo cut from larget diamter boo plants than their 1 1/2" boo??

Is there any reason I shouldn't use smoothon for my glue ups??

Thanks very much, I am really looking forward to getting started on this. I build 3 Piece glass/carbon bows now and am looking forward to building a 3 piece BBO/BBI... anyone done this yet???

Ernie

Offline adb

Re: Please show me your glue up methods/forms/etc...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:17:38 pm »
Hi, and welcome! If you can get your hands on Dean Torges' video "Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow", do it. He goes through, in very good detail, how he does glue-ups. Best I've seen, and it's what I use.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 07:19:42 pm »
You will see many variations in forms around here. Mostly guys use whatever they have on hand. If by "proper forms" you mean store bought, NO most of us don't play that game. We might build a form when we have a style we like to repeat, but 2X4s and some clamps are as good as anything.

Franks sells some pretty good boo. If you order from them, get the thicker 2" wide stuff and you will always have what you need.

I use smooth on frequently.

Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Hornseeker

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 07:35:48 pm »
Nah...by "proper"...and not sure why I used that word... I was speaking of a full form like I use for my laminated glass bows...one that mirrors the entire shape of the bow/limb.

Surfing around today, i saw several variations of forms using 2X4's stacked in different configurations!

Thanks!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:25:47 pm »
Smooth on works great, but it's expensive. I primarly use URAC 185 for that reason.
Gordon

Hornseeker

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 09:26:43 am »
I will order some Urac....

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 09:49:31 am »
I'll second what adb said.

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 11:33:48 am »
 hey  hornseeker!!  try rudderbow!! this guy is cool he has written some small books the methods are soo simple!!  they seem like I could do better!  but let me clue you in ,,,,  he has tested and retested you can't go wrong!!!  his name is jim  b.  when you do a bow project it's like a compass you have to follow it!  we all know what could happen if you don't trust your compass  we'll see you back on the ship    JEFF W

Hornseeker

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 10:37:56 pm »
Cmon guys...Torges? I know he is a master and such, but this site has several fantastic bow builders and many many great bow builders... I dont need to buy a book...I just need some of them to chime in... The resource is HERE...

I will keep browsing and surfing the site... its just nice to get some pointers right off so I dont have to read every thread!

Thanks! Look forward to messing up a few bows and getting some ideas from you guys!

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 12:52:46 am »
Don't buy the book, get the DVD.

Offline Dano

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 12:02:02 pm »
I know, don't buy the book or the dvd, learn the hard way like most of us did. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 03:40:05 pm »
Cmon guys...Torges? I know he is a master and such, but this site has several fantastic bow builders and many many great bow builders... I dont need to buy a book...I just need some of them to chime in... The resource is HERE...

I will keep browsing and surfing the site... its just nice to get some pointers right off so I dont have to read every thread!

Thanks! Look forward to messing up a few bows and getting some ideas from you guys!

I already told you what I do.  Sounds like you already know something about forms and have a few.  How about you show us what you have. Justin

Here are a few worth reading.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1978.0.html
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2094.0.html

Dont be affraid of the search option on this site, there is a ton of info out there. And we promise you wont find anything that will make you blush to much using our search.   :-[
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:41:29 pm by Justin Snyder »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Hornseeker

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 10:13:30 pm »
Thanks Justin, thats exaclty what I'm talking about.. alot of you guys know the threads that had some good form pics and build a longs on them! Those two look great. I wiill search as I get time... but was just throwing out a call for more help.... ???

The joy of having forums like this Dano, is that a lot of the new guys dont have to go through all the trial and error times that others went through. When I see someone asking about how to do something, if I know how to do it...or have something useful for them..I try and convey it to them. You know, we've all heard, "no need to reinvent the wheel".. thats sorta what I mean. With a few veterans help, I'll be able to turn out a decent bow in no time.. not telling how llong it would take my pea brain to build a good one without advice!

;D

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 10:24:40 am »
i happened upon a car inner tube and cut it into a "stretch clamp". just cut into uniform strips about 2" wide and once you have the glue applied and the lams put together, you start in the middleand stretch wrap out to the tips. once wrapped, you can put it on a form and clamp it into whatever reflex you want. my most recent is a hickory backed ipe that started out with about 3" reflex and after around 80 shots, it hasn't lost much of that. i like this method, but there are many that work. keep fiddling untill yop find one that you like!

Hornseeker

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 12:02:58 pm »
What does a guy look for in a piece of hickory to make a backing strip?? quarter sawn or flat sawn? Quarter sounds right...but????

I see hickory and boo used as backing strips alot.. are there any other woods that make a good backing strip?

Have any of you used Bubinga for a belly material? BBB, Boo Backed Bubinga?? It seems like it would work good...

Purple heart?
Jarra?
Yellow Heart?

E