Author Topic: Miwok bow #5. testing the limits of primitive design, incense cedar and sinew  (Read 23137 times)

Offline fusizoli

Thats amazeing! Great bow and work! How did U made that nock, some more info pl.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
 The nocks are bundles of sinew folded in half on the bow tip, and extending a inch or so past the wood. The sinew is then molded with the fingertips to shape. When the glue dries they become rock hard

Offline medicinewheel

That bend really is impressive!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Beautiful work...awesome :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline billy

wow...now ya know why they made those hook nocks like that!! with conventional nocks the string would slide right off the end of the bow.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline recurve shooter

holy cow! man that is really pushin the envelope. verry well done!
lets just shoot it

Offline rileyconcrete

Chuck,

Great bow that is awsome.  Like you I am fascinated by this style of bow.  I am working on my first attemp right now.  I am using an elm stave and was wondering if this will be an ok wood type for this style bow.  I have already started the bow so I hope it will work.  I was just wondering if this elm will be flexible enough to bend like your cedar does?
Tell Riley

Offline mox1968

wow severe bend!!!! is the bow backed??

radius

i might have missed it:  but how wide are the limbs and how long is the thing altogether?

Offline PeteC

That's amazing ! Beautiful job.But that full draw pic makes me nervous :o :. Sinew is incredible,but the compression qualities of that cedar is unbelievable. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Gordon

Wow, I can't believe how much bend you are getting out of that piece of wood. Amazing!
Gordon

Rich Saffold

Ya I too am really impressed by your full draw shot..

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
holy $#@! thats awesome
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Blacktail

hey chuck,just trying to pick your mind some more...so what are the measurements on the stick and how many courses of sinew is on it...if you can give any more info that would be wonderful...is there any books about these people...thanks john

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
really nice, authentic, native bow, I'm amazed the wood can take that bend!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......