Author Topic: Yew ring count  (Read 19513 times)

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Yew ring count
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 06:30:24 am »
That's some sweet looking timber you have there...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline shamus

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 07:51:13 am »
Ring count is certainly one indication of how good/not-so-good a piece of yew can be.  More rings means a more dense piece of wood. Less dense yew needs more wood to do the same thing. There are other considerations though. 

Evaluating Yew wood: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/06/evaluating-yew-wood.html

radius

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 09:21:24 am »
ok, well none of my pieces have that many rings!  Still good stuff though, this sea level yew i've been working with.  Cool r/d on that one bow.  Show me that one with a string on?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 11:45:23 am »
Very good article Shamus. Thank you.  I agree there are some many factors to consider and not always "cast in stone" results when it comes to yew.  I have had some with serious wind shake that still made bows and have seen what looked like excellent prestine yew explode.  Most is very durable.  ;)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 11:46:20 am »
This yew made a very serviceable bow. I tend to think that higher ring count is the ticket.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Keenan

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 12:05:19 pm »
Nice Oldbow, That looks very similar to the one that Del the Cat posted on the "weird Yew" thread.  Maybe you can share some insights about your findings with that piece.  Is most of the yew in that region similar with the "migrating" sapwood? Is it consistant in the upper part of the stave or similar to the end view pic?

Radius, I have had a long string on it but have not taken it to a short string yet. I've contiplated making a heavy bow with this one but I'd have to find someone to pull it ;D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 10:52:32 am »
 Quote; "pip said that 15-20 growth rings per inch is o.k....but,i all ways thought the more growth rings per an inch was better...so,why does every one bragee about 30-40 growth rings...just trying to get it right for some bow making...thanks john"

John,  As far as people bragging about high ring count yew it is because there is a difference. Low ring count yew is great bow wood, no doubt, however high ring count is better. Most who think low ring count is as good, have never tried high ring count yew. It is denser and stronger and takes less wood to make a strong bow.  Come over and I'd be happy to show you the difference and do some bend test for you. This is not meant in any way to say that low ring count yew is bad. Almost all yew is great bow wood.
  I'm simply trying to put out accurate information on what to look for as the best wood available. I am not trying to sell my bow wood, most all the yew that I have I want to keep for future bows.  This should show that what I'm saying is for education.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:43:56 am by Keenan »

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 09:29:01 pm »
holy cow,this is a good read...i am learning some thing  :D  :D...i really wish i knew how to post photos..my wife does it...i have a piece of yew that i got..and i have a question about..its about color of yew...and i don't know if color is a way of reading if the wood is good quality or bad..its a small tree and the color is a deep red NOT pinkish..and it also has what looks to be maybe a brown...the ring count is very high..i haven't counted it..but some of the rings are so fine that it looks like one growth ring...keenan,are you still trying to get me to come over  ;D ;D ;)...yes,i really need to come over..i have one course of sinew on that vm stick that we traded for dacite..i told my wife it would be hers if WE can get it done..john p.s. does any one have more end shots of yewwwww..

Offline Keenan

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 10:34:50 pm »
  john the color that your are describing should be great.  It tends to get that color in the drier regions where it grows slower. I have one that I just quatered, that sounds like what you just described ;) And yes, I'm still trying to get you to come over and play with sticks. >:D   I'll post some more pics when I can

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 01:13:10 pm »
Hello Keenan  ;D Here are the pictures I promised you. I cut this yew about two weeks ago. When I first opened the wood up, it was a whole lot darker red at that time. Now it has lightened up a bit but I thought I would show you the pictures anyways. The photo of the end peice I counted 43 rings in one inch. So tell me what you think about the peice of wood. It has some discoloring on one side of it. Later, John.

idacurt

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 03:16:44 pm »
Blacktail, I would say that is one tight ringed stave! Wonder how old that is?

Offline OldBow

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 04:01:27 pm »
With this piece of yew, I could be inclined to take off most of the sapwood.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 04:35:02 pm »
hey don,thanks for the info on the sap wood...i think you have me beet with the mt yew...very nice stuff...john

Offline Keenan

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 06:32:31 pm »
 That looks very nice John.  The side on the right by your index finger looks like the best, however you also have to take into account where knots are in the log. Good looking yew. The discolored on the left may have been form an injury to the tree.

Don, very nice looking yew I would agree with the sapwood and leave about 1/8 - 1/4 inch of sap and that section right below the skull at the top looks premium

Offline OldBow

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 08:37:31 pm »
The skull was from a black bear lying close to the yew stand. Packed both back. Would have liked to know more about the story of the skull.