Author Topic: Crossbow Pistol Pictures  (Read 13186 times)

Offline bushman

Crossbow Pistol Pictures
« on: October 24, 2009, 02:24:53 am »
Here are a few pictures of an urban crossbow pistol that I have made. All of the parts are made mostly from wood with just a few nails used as pins, 4 dry wall screws and 2 little strips of flashing to hold it together. The bow is made from around 20 of them wooded coffee stir sticks. If you try to glue them together they will just snap on you, learnt that the hard way, o well. But if you just bind them together with string then they will slip on each other and make a nice bow. I never measured that bow but it’s about 12” tip to tip and around 4 pounds of draw at 5 ¾”. The bolt is just a blunt one that I made from a chopstick. I have made some more, made arrowheads out of banding, 2 broad heads that are like trade points and then I tried to make one that looks like a spear point and is folded around the arrow shaft, for the fletching I used the flight feathers from a raven and a rooster. It works pretty good, when you hold it at about a 45 degree angle it will shoot an arrow about 40 feet. It will work for pickin off rats at about 10 feet. Here is
This is how it works:
The trigger is made to slide straight backwards when you pull on it, it has a pin that fits into a slot on the bottom of the “nut” (that piece that you see that is sticking up from the top there), the pressure from the bow string locks it all together until you pull the trigger backwards and that pin disengages from the “nut” allowing the bowstring to snap forward and send the bolt flying down range.

Here’s some pictures of it:

What do you think of it?

Offline bushman

Re: Crossbow Pistol Pictures
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 02:28:08 am »
Well that didn't work to attach the pictures. Can someone tell me how to post the pictures please? I can't figure it out. Thanks

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 03:49:49 am »
You have to post the pictures to a site like photobucket or somesuch and then copy them as [IMG]......[IMG]
It's a pain in the a$$.
Sound like a fun toy for shooting coffee cups.
Years ago at work I casually picked up a small piece of thin aluminium alloy strip, I flexed it in my hands and said 'this is decent alloy, it would make a bow for a miniature crossbow'
The new kid in the office didn't know me and said 'no way', I offered him a bet, I said, 'I'll make it into a miniature bow pistol, every yard it shoots further than half a soccer pitch you buy me a pint of beer, every yard less I'll buy you one'
Needless to say, I got the beer ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bushman

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 04:47:46 pm »

Lets see if this works.

Offline bushman

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 04:53:09 pm »

Lets try again.

Offline bushman

Offline bushman

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 04:56:53 pm »

Offline bushman

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 05:04:57 pm »
Ok lets try this again.

Offline bushman

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 05:12:34 pm »
Ok I think I got it figured out how to add pictures now. It is a pain, especially when you are on dia up Internet and it takes half a day to do anything on it. Thanks, Del the cat, for tellin me how to add the pictures. What do you think of the pistol crossbow?

Offline Dano

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 05:35:31 pm »
That is pretty cool, nice job.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 05:42:19 pm »
That's cool, it's hard to judge the scale, how long is it?
Something on my project list is a full sized all wooden primitive crossbow.
I can't remember if I posted the link to my Chinese Repeating Crossbow, the actual bow is laminated fibreglass/maple so it doesn't qualify a 'primitive'
The original Chinese ones had Bamboo bows made of strips lashed together very much like your lolly(popsicle?) sticks
Heck I'll post the link, if anyone doesn't like the concept they don't have to click.
http://s411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/Del_the_Cat/?action=view&current=repeater.flv
It will be a bit slow to download if you are on dial up, but it's well worth a look.
Many years ago I worked with Alan Bilbow, he's a renowned maker of miniatures especially crossbows which are in several US museums and collections and they sell for thousands of dollars, he started off making a 1/4 scale copy of one of my bows! (He did a scale model of the Chinese Repeater in Sir Ralph Payne-Galwey's book too) He left the Uk and made his name in the US, great guy.
Del
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 05:54:42 pm by Del the cat »

Rhinegold

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 07:34:24 pm »
Anyone ever tried using an old leaf spring from a car for a crossbow?

It would take a while to hacksaw into shape, but its high quality spring steel alloyed slightly with silicon.

Not something you can pick up at HomeDepot.

Rhinegold

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 07:52:29 pm »
Heck I'll post the link, if anyone doesn't like the concept they don't have to click.
http://s411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/Del_the_Cat/?action=view&current=repeater.flv
Thats an amazing piece of work!

Machine gun of the ancients!

banoch

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 08:53:31 pm »
Way to go bushman, that is just different enough to be really cool !

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 07:10:00 am »
Anyone ever tried using an old leaf spring from a car for a crossbow?

It would take a while to hacksaw into shape, but its high quality spring steel alloyed slightly with silicon.

Not something you can pick up at HomeDepot.
Yup...here's one I made earlier...about 20yrs ago (the fares at the end are silver soldered on)

Using car leaf spring is what tought me never to saw the wrong side of the line, I was only a kid (about 40yrs ago) and I was sawing out the profile as a series of 3 straight lines on each limb, I'd completed one side, turned it over, finished the first cut and then instead of sawing off the scrap I SAWED OFF THE LIMB :'(.
My brother helped me out, we cut another one sawing in 5minute shifts between the two of us. :)
Not a mistake you make twice.  :-[
Del