Author Topic: broke  (Read 1758 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

broke
« on: October 23, 2009, 09:10:24 am »
i was working on a  short 51" maple bow yesterday and the day before, roughed it out, did long string tiller and short string tiller, and was confident it was going to make a good bow.for figuring out the maximum draw length on my bows, i do their length in inches divided by 2.3(i read that is a good way), and got about 22".My draw length is around 23-25",so after the low brace, i pulled the bow to full draw just to see how nice it looked, and,well, forgetting that it could only be drawn 22", it broke, Well it sorta just came off at mid limb , a clear crack. I think the only lesson was to remember the draw length, or something like that.But i like maple,it was my first time working with it, and I have another bigger part that is just waiting to be worked on, and i cant wait
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: broke
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 09:18:01 am »
It happens. Think about cutting your arrows an inch more than the draw length of the bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 09:24:17 am »
HEY SORRY I KNOW IT SUCKS TO HAVE EM BREAK ESPECIALLY AFTER ALL THE WORK AND TIME U INVEST...MAPLE IS GOOD WOOD BUT NOT ALWAYS AS FORGIVING LIKE SOME OTHER WOODS I HAVE ABOUT 6 BROKEN BOWS DOWN IN MY SHOP I KEEP THEM TO REMIND ME OF THE SOMETIMES SIMPLE MISTAKES I MADE...JUST KEEP ON KEPPING ON MAN IF IT TAKE A HUNDRED BOWS BROKEN TO MAKE ONE GOOD ONE THEN ITS WORTH IT!!!

CHEERS!!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:28:49 am »
a bow fully drawn is 9/10th broken.   It is that last inch that gets them every time!  Good lesson learned...I hope! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline swimbill

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 12:02:46 pm »
I feel your pain, had a maple board bow almost completely tillered, Wednesday I  drew it back and was left holding the upper limb and handle .  lower limb was in three pieces on the floor.  Discovered a knot and wavey grain I could not see at first, oh well