Author Topic: Boo backed tri-lam (no BOM please)  (Read 6659 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Boo backed tri-lam (no BOM please)
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:08:11 pm »
I like to think of this one as a "group effort"
 Ya see, David knight glued it up and partially tillered it. Me, Pappy, RyanO and GregB finished the tiller out. RyanO assisted me in shaping the handle and GregB very graciously gave me some pre shaped tip overlays. ;D
  The bow is a boo backed, osage core, ipe bellied tri-lam with a bocote accent strip and Brazilian cherry handle. David glued it up on his highly deflexed/reflexed form.
 The tips are bocote and black horn. They actually came from the Tom B memorial bow that blew up. Greg said he liked shaping tips and didn't mind doing some others for the new bow so he gave them to me.  I didn't mind at all, and am honered to have them on my bow.
 I dyed the bamboo brown fading into black before adding the copperhead skins. I like the way they turned out.
 She draws 51# @27" and is 60" ntn.
 I really like the way this bow shoots. It's as fast and smooth as any glass bow and much quieter.
 We put it through the ringer a couple weeks ago at Pappys place. I bet we shot it at least 200 times. But the real test came when I handed it to 'ol "bow breaker" Greg :o He shot it a bunch and it's still in one piece. So I reckon it's a good 'un. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:47:13 am by Saw Filer »
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: Boo backed tri-lam (no BOM please)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:15:12 pm »
Dang that is sweet !! I really like the skins on that boo.. ;).. The tiller is spot on!! I want to see some blood drawn with it.. ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 09:20:58 pm by knightd »

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:25:05 pm »
That is a beauty guys.  From the tips to the skins to the tiller,  that is one fine bow.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:31:03 pm »
OUTSTANDING!! I do like the skins too, the bow is just plain awesome.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:19:53 pm »
Very nice Shannon! (cept for that one spot) ;D Jus kidding bud. Really sweet job son.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:24:07 pm »
 Everybody did good on that one, Shannon. I hope mine comes out near as good. And if it passed the Greg Test, you have years of good use.  ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 10:47:29 pm »
That's a beauty Shannon. The dye fading through the skins is a cool effect.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 11:18:57 pm »
That is a great looking bow, dang you let Gregb pull it lol, I was standing there at the classic when that bamboo of James Parkers broke, I felt the hair stand up on my neck, I felt bad for Greg too he didn't do anything wrong, James was really gracious about it.
VB

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 01:02:17 am »
Appreciate the compliments fellas.
 Yea, I let GregB shoot it.  I figured I'd let him have a chance to break it before I spent a lot of time finishing it. In fact, I think he shot it as much as I did. 
 Now that I think about it...I bet we shot it close to 250 times. I just remembered that Big A and Jesse had a few rounds with it too.  I noticed that everybody that shot it, seemed to shoot it well.  Well, at least everyone but me :-\
  It's not picky about arrows either.  I've shot several different spines of arrows through it and it seems to shoot most anything well.
  I'm gonna strap on my Great Northern quiver tomorrow and pick out some hunting arrows.  I'm taking this baby to the woods this weekend!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 01:13:38 am »
WOW, that's some nice full draw profile for sure!
The tips are nice, so is the whole finish work!
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 06:30:06 am »
She came out real nice Shannon, hope ya she gets to see some action in the woods :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 06:47:36 am »
Turned out really nice ,just like I though it would. Love the skins ,all the finish work looks great. :)
Now go kill something with it. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 07:41:45 am »
That bow really turned out sweet Shannon you ole Kentuckian! ;D The black on the tips are buffalo horn, I didn't know if I'd told you that or not. The skins look good on it, and I like the way you high-lighted around the edges of them. The bow looks none the worse for wear from my shooting it, so it ought to be a good solid bow! ;)

Yeah VB, James had half drawn that bow several times to warm it up and then handed it to me and I half drew it several times prior to going to full draw (27" for me). I heard it snap, and James said..."you didn't!". I don't remember what I said, I think I just sadly shook my head and waited to see if this martial arts expert was going to lower the boom on me! ;D He was as you said very gracious about it, and pretty much said it was just a piece of wood and he could make another limb for it. It was a takedown bow, and before I got hold of it...a beauty! :) So if any of you guys want your bows tested for endurance/reliability before you put to much finish time in them, just ship it to me with return shipping enclosed and a small testing fee and I'll put it through its paces...if it lasts that long! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 12:01:02 pm »
This one wins NOM for Nocks of the Month ;)
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 01:17:42 pm »
Great job to all who had a hand in that one! That's a beauty for sure.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS