Author Topic: Issues with heating?  (Read 4818 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Issues with heating?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 10:46:11 am »
If you want to set the recurves in with dry heat you will have to clamp them down in a form so they stay put.  Another option is to use a heat gun and play it on the tips rather than putting it in the oven.  You still need to secure the recurves though
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 10:55:39 am »
If you want to set the recurves in with dry heat you will have to clamp them down in a form so they stay put.  Another option is to use a heat gun and play it on the tips rather than putting it in the oven.  You still need to secure the recurves though

Whole thing's shot lol unless I can find some lower profile clamps.  My ovens are set up to where only the curved ends would be heated...it's hard to explain, I may post a picture later.  However, my clamps do not fit through the doors...so I have to find new clamps.

Having already gotten the wood setup for this, and it being pliable, I decided to let them air-dry clamped to a windmill hub (also hard to explain)...but the grain lifted on one of my slats so that's not gonna work.  Oh the well. 
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 06:24:34 pm »
well my findings are that nothing is worth doing with 1/4" slats sold at the lumber yard...if you're going to do a board bow, dow a 1X2 or bigger.  Three attempts to make a little light bow, all failures.

On to something else...
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry