Author Topic: Will I ever get a bow not to break.  (Read 7087 times)

Offline Kent D.

Re: Will I ever get a bow not to break.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 02:23:08 pm »
Breaking bows is part of the process.  Ive broke my share.  You will get to the point where you make more than break.  Its an on going, learning event.  Keep your head up. 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 02:36:44 pm »
Sure. You'll get it. I still get a break now and then. If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin'! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline yazoo

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 04:02:25 pm »
give me your address I will send you a hickory blank for free, no body should haft to use ash ;D
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline woodstick

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 04:48:06 pm »
i still got my first bow i made a osage. may got luckey but i have broke a few since then but i still will make many more and break many more also. just dont get in a rush is the best advice i can give ya. if it dont look right to ya it good chance it aint so try to correct it. or post pics and ask alot of ?
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Benvse

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 05:42:10 pm »
Well I'm not feeling as bad knowing that I am not the only breaking more bows than building them.  Hopefully when I get over this bug I can start over building another bow.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 06:01:58 pm »
give me your address I will send you a hickory blank for free, no body should haft to use ash ;D
You are a good man, and I agree about ash.  ;D

I look at each broken bow as an education. You can only imagine how smart I am after all the bows I have broken. The best part is I am still getting smarter every day.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 06:33:37 pm »
You are a good man, and I agree about ash.  ;D

/quote]

I disagree whats wrong with ash ??? Not everyone has access to osage or other top of the line woods,
ash will make a good bow capable of taking any game you care to hunt in this country :) Besides its hard to beat a good piece of ash :)
Justin you must have gotten some bad ash :'( Next time be more picky as to what type of ash ya use  ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline yazoo

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 07:14:31 pm »
theres no osage where I live. I just started driving west till I found some,pulled over and asked how much ;D
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Little John

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 09:11:06 pm »
I would buy a quality osage stave clear and straight with thick groth rings and then procede to build a slightly overbuilt for the draw length and weight. Take your time and you will get your first bow. Osage is still better than the white woods and the extra money is money well spent. Find yourself a reputible dealer who knows wood and will sell you what you ask for. My two cents.       Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline bcbull

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 11:07:55 pm »
QUINCY  IF I WAS YOU  ID  MAKE A WEEKEND  GET WITH DEAN MARLOW   GET HIM TO FIX YA UP WITH ONE OF HIS FANCY PIG NUT HICKORY STAVES HAHA HE S ONE OF MY BEST BUDDY S AND HE WILL DO ALL HE CAN   FOR YA   IF I WAS HAVIN UR PLM ID  GET A HICKORY STAVE AND  WORK ON THAT TILL YOU MASTER IT   AS HICKORY IS AS TUFF AS YOU LL GET DARN NEAR UNBREAKABLE  ALSO YOU MIGHT WANNA READ TRAD BOWYER BIBLE 1  BULDING A FLAT NOW  AND USE THE HICKORY FOR THAT   FEEL FREE TO  E MAIL ME ILL HELP YA ALL I CAN  BROCK

Offline MaceG

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 11:51:48 pm »
    Stave.
Set happens - Jawge

Offline Gordon

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 01:12:44 am »
You have to accept that you're going to break some bows if you ever want to get any good at this.
Gordon

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 08:10:19 am »
It's hard to say what has gone wrong...could be some poor grain on the ash boards you're using and they just weren't going to make a bow regardless of who was working them. Ash can make a good bow, but it's not as good a choice for your first as other woods such as hickory or osage would be in my opinion.

I'd take yazoo up on his generous offer, he's got lots of bow wood if I know him. A lot of other good advice has been given such as purchasing Volume 1 of the Traditional Bowyers Bible, and checking Jawge's sight out which I know has helped a whole lot of folks! Also, if you can get access to a digital camera or post pictures by whatever means from stave through finished bow...there are a lot of experienced folks here that gladly give constructive advice. Don't give up, the fact that you've gone through this four times and haven't given up yet shows me you really want this to happen for you and it will I'm sure. You just need the right kind of start and a little guidance. We've all been where you are, so hang in there! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

radius

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2009, 02:05:04 pm »
sticks break.  what's a guy to do?

don't give up dude.  Back when i was breaking more than making, i would walk outside to the curb and lay the two pieces of the broken bows on the ground, then return inside to the shop and immediately start the next one.  I made that walk many times it felt like.  I didn't count!  But you keep practicing.  Get the hang of it.  Then next year, when i pick up that truckload of yew, i want to distribute some of it to my friends and brothers on this site.  By then, you'll be ready to make yourself a bow out of the great yew wood that grows in British Columbia.

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2009, 08:08:29 pm »
I broke 3 last week and yeah I got a bit dicouraged but I just "KEEP ON KEEPIN ON"  A good tip besides take ur time is make sure that the limbs are tottaly smooth with NO cuts or cracks...dont take excessive wood of knots and If u can cut the knots out altogether...hopefully this can help u!!!

Cheers!!!