Author Topic: When to back?  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Swamp Bow

When to back?
« on: October 21, 2009, 12:23:57 am »
At what point do people back a potential bow?  Right from the start? At some point when they feel the bow is likely to make it?  Some other point?  I've always backed from the start, but I've gotten the impression that others may not.  I tried the other way last night, and obviously should have stopped to back it at one less inch of draw.  BOOM!  I can see an advantage to waiting until the rough shaping and floor tillering is done though. Oh well, live and learn.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: When to back?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 01:09:47 am »
With wood backings I start off with a backed stave. For rawhide, cloth or paper backing I add that as soon as I realize it needs a backing. Other than that I don't back bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 01:25:18 am »
Thanks Pat.  I'm just curious what other people do.  Trying to get better and all that.  Well, yes if I had something other than board lumber I'd not feel the need to back all of my bows either.  :)  That will change soon though.  Just talked to one of my neighbors, and he has a 12-14" ERC that was blown down but not killed by hurricane Charley.  I couldn't get in there easily and see just how big the trunk was, but I'll bet it's at least 12" a foot or so from the base.  He wants to get rid of it.  I offered to take care of it.  ;D  I'm looking forward to chasing some rings and having some barter material.

Swamp

Edit: Changed to 12-14" not 12-24"
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:39:09 pm by Swamp Bow »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 05:22:28 am »
I back them usually after I get them full braced and all of the heat or steam work is done.Before
I put them on the tiller board. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 12:02:12 pm »
I floor tiller then glue up in reflex.  Then I string with long string and begin tillering.   :) -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 12:41:02 pm »
After I get my reflex/recurve set, before I start tillering.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 01:12:04 pm »
I don't do backings of wood  but if I did I'd do them right from the start. Backings like rawhide, silk, etc I do after long string tillering and before the bow's first stringing. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 02:12:13 pm »
Swamp, you don't have to chase a ring on the ERC. You can make very good bows with all sapwood, all heartwood or a combo of both.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 03:47:41 pm »
Okay seems most choose either from the start or after it has a bend in it from the long string.  I guess the idea is if it breaks before the short string or there abouts, it probably won't survive anyway?  That would make sense to me.

PatB,
  I've never worked ERC as bowwood.  Are you saying that a slelfbow made out of ERC does not need a single ring on the back?  What about side run out?  If that is the case, should I just saw out my staves and save my back from having to split logs?  Sounds a little iffy, but I'll be the first to admit I don't know squat.

Thanks
Swamp

Offline woodstick

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 04:50:32 pm »
i do alot of backing just my style. and i put mine on at bout the time i get it to brace and start bending a little i use to put it on after tiller but changed my ways a little.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 05:09:30 pm »
Swamp, You should split the log.  If it is growing straight(not spiraled)you will get straight staves. Seal the ends then remove the bark. The wood under the bark is the back of your bow. I would seal that also after you remove the bark. If each split is thick enough you might be able to split of belly splits. They will be all heartwood. You can chase to a good ring so you have sapwood back with a heartwood belly.
  I have seen and shot a very nice ELB style bow that was just sapwood and was impressed by how well it shot.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 11:07:58 pm »
My self I rough them out , do the steam ,heat shapeing , then back them before I start pulling them on the tiller tree.
                                   Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 05:21:33 pm »
Thanks everyone.

PatB Thanks for the info on ERC.  That clears things up.

Swamp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 05:23:03 pm »
Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the results! ;)

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 05:36:06 pm »
Thanks, I'll either post a pic of the bow or the funeral pyre!