Author Topic: Arrow weight- when is it bad for the bow?  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Kegan

Arrow weight- when is it bad for the bow?
« on: October 20, 2009, 05:39:11 pm »
I posted a thread a while ago about what the lowest grains per pound others have shot. However, I've been wondering about it again and wanted a little more help.

Basically, I'm looking to see at what point does the lightness of an arrow start killing a bow? I've heard that under 6 gpp is the same as dry firing a bow. However I've seen flightbows remain in use for years. Frankly, I have no idea what's safe. I'd like to be able to use some of the light, stiff arrows I have without worrying about my bow degrading on me :P.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Arrow weight- when is it bad for the bow?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:37:10 pm »
I don't shoot less than 8 gpp. I prefer 10 gpp. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:04:34 pm »
point on is better than speed. dont worry bout speed i go with at least 10 to 12 gpi.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Rhinegold

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 12:50:06 am »
I'd like to be able to use some of the light, stiff arrows I have without worrying about my bow degrading on me.
I cant help, but as a point of interest Ive read that Turkish arrows designed for the greatest possible cast were *barrel* tapered...meaning they were thickest in the center where strength is needed, but very narrow at the tip and nock.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 05:34:27 pm »
Woodstick- My point on with a 7.5 gpp arrow is 60 yards- which is what I wanted. It's how I measure cast without a chrony. I just have some lighter modern shafting that I'd like to give a shot- but don't want my bow giving out on me if I do.

As Rhinegold mentioned, it's been seen in the past use of very light arrows. So I'm sort of confused :P

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 06:00:34 pm »
Kegan, this is going to be, for the most part, about the same as asking what oil is best for your car.  For every person you'll find a different answer.

I can tell you that I shoot 350g with my 60lb longbow and have not had any issues during it's two years of service.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 08:05:15 pm »
Kegan, the way I see it.....If you shoot any weight arrow from a bow then it is not being(the pervebial) dry fired. No matter if it only weighs 100 ggp. I have agree with mackenzie71,just give it a go and figure it out.I don't  know of in depth study about this. Has anyone every took arrow weight/bow poundage though the full spectrum?

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 08:14:27 pm »
dont know if this is good or not but i have noticed if they are too light the bow will tell you with more handshock....but then.. it might be my tillerin skills, lol
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 10:17:08 pm »
True Koan, a heavy arrow will help out in other ways,obsorbing vibrations being one,but if one can shoot a lighter arrow and not feel that extra "bump" then he knows that his tillering skills are improving. ;)

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 01:33:28 pm »
Thanks everyone :). Looks like playing it by ear would be my best bet. I'll try to do a test about it later, but until then I'll just see how it goes!