Author Topic: The Bow Dictionary...lets make one...  (Read 3050 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
The Bow Dictionary...lets make one...
« on: October 20, 2009, 03:26:31 pm »
Okay I keep reading stuff and coming across terminology I don't understand...I think it'd be a great idea to have all the obscure bow-specific words and terms all together in one so that anytime someone sees something they don't know, instead of asking for an explanation, they can just hit the thread.  Like I've had to ask what "lams" and "take down bows" are.  If anyone wants to contribute I'll happily modify this post to include them.  I'd also like to hear if I've messed one up.  Of course, if everyone things this is a bad idea than I suppose we'll just let it fade away...

ELB ~ Abreviation, "English Longbow"
Lam ~ Short for "Lamination"
TBB ~ Abreviation, "The Traditional Bowyer's Bible".  Several editions, typically followed with numerals for specific edition referenced
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 04:44:53 pm by makenzie71 »
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

coyote pup

Re: The Bow Dictionary...lets make one...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 03:33:38 pm »
I think it's a good idea. Especially with all the acronyms we have like ELB, MR, TBB, and so on.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:45:27 pm »
I couldn't find "mr"...?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:47:45 pm »
There's a glossary of terms in the back of Traditional Bowyer's Bible vol. 4 (TBB if you like ;))

coyote pup

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 04:48:19 pm »
Mary Rose. The english ship that sank but had a boat load of longbows and longbow staves on it. I don't recall when it was. Sometime in the 16th century maybe?

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 05:06:45 pm »
There's a glossary of terms in the back of Traditional Bowyer's Bible vol. 4 (TBB if you like ;))

Technically there's a lot of dictionay type things out there.  This is more about putting one here :)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 07:41:36 pm »
Just curious, would this dictionary resemble this one. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,978.0.html   ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dano

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 08:00:39 pm »
The internet age  ::) Doesn't anyone read books anymore, and keep them for reference?  ;D I'm just askin'

Sorry!! bein a TROLL again ::)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:32:15 pm by Dano »
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 12:01:55 am »
Thanks Justin.  I searched for similar threads but only in the bows section.  I am sorry that I missed that. 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 01:01:52 am »
Don't be sorry. We have been trying to add posts like that one to the library read only section so they are easier to find. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 09:07:33 am »
Just curious, would this dictionary resemble this one. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,978.0.html   ;D

Dang beat me to it Justin :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 12:45:03 pm »
It would be nice if members could expand on the glossary (Example- I don't see "self nock"). However I think it should be passed through Mr. Baker or the moderators to avoid "differences of opinion". ::) 

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 04:08:07 pm »
If you want to add anything, or think anything should be added, just let a moderator know. We have it locked so we don't get a lot of posts that make the info harder to find.

SW Utah

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 01:32:32 am »
Well, that's a good list, but a explanation of all the shortcuts still would be helpfull!
Frank from Germany...