Author Topic: Question on a maple board bow  (Read 3826 times)

vtclimber

Re: Question on a maple board bow
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 06:33:04 pm »
Thanks all for the suggestions. I am 6'4" with a 2" positive ape index. My compound currently has a 30" draw and that is about perfect for that...I suppose the next one will be in the 66-68 inch range lol. I went ahead and glued 1/8" maple backing on. Tomorrow I will tiller it out and see what I have. Thanks again, Dave

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 07:16:27 am »
Thanks, LOL. I forgot about the width of the saw blade. You could glue on a handle piece. However, that adds a set of things to consider. You could just make a bow as is. How is the grain on this board; is it straight? Vt, pick a straight grained board at the lumber yard and make a bend in the handle bow. If the grain is poor on the board you have, don't use it. My site has info. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

vtclimber

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 09:50:14 am »
Ok, so I beefed up the back and had it pulling right at 50# on a 26" draw......shot well until I tried to push it a little bit and what do ya know! I snapped the lower limb. Oh well, an excuse for some more shop time lol.

Dave

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 05:58:21 pm »
ya live and ya learn. glad your not discouraged. welcome to the addiction, after the first shooter it gets worse  >:D

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

vtclimber

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 09:07:57 pm »
Lol, Never a reason to get discouraged! Just a reason to revisit a "particular" decision...and then improve on it! George..thanks for the link to your website! Some good info there. I will say though....when the lower limb went...IT WENT! Got me right under the chin.. Shall I say Lesson Learned! Next one will be better and I will make sure to post pics.

Dave

vtclimber

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 09:11:13 pm »
George..where in New England are you? I lived up there for years and frequently hunt in Maine's North Woods.....