Author Topic: Question on a maple board bow  (Read 3825 times)

vtclimber

Question on a maple board bow
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:56:45 am »
Morning all. I am new to bow making and have been "lurking" on this site for a week or so now. I've been involved in woodworking for some time now and am also into luthery, but have not made a bow since I was young. I picked up a 1x2 maple board and was hoping for around 45-50 lb draw. I ripped the board in half and so I had 2 pieces that were 1x2 by 3/8" thick, and followed a laminate methodology. I also recurved the ends. The resulting draw was far lighter draw than what I had hoped. It currently has no backing and I was wondering if anyone might be aware of a backing material I could use that might add 7-10lbs of draw? That would put me near what I wanted for a target.

Also, I had a question regarding wood selection (again, if this is posted already I apologize). Coming from a cabinet and luthery world I generally go for quartersawn as opposed to flatsawn or plainsawn. Which type of cut do I really want? If I go the way I did when I was young it would be to quarter a tree and then shape the stave from there....Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Offline snedeker

Re: Question on a maple board bow
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:58:26 am »
I don't quite follow the sequence of ripping a 1x2 in half and getting two 1x2s  3/8 thick??

To be clear, hat are the dimensions currently of you bow?  Thickness and width in lower limb and length.

You can easily slap a 1/8 strip of hickory or maple on it and add 15 lb

Dave

vtclimber

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:43:35 am »
Hi Dave,

Currently the bow is as follows:

Just over 3/8" thick in the limbs. It is 58" ntn and pulling at about 35lbs at 24". I would like to get it to 45-50 at 28".
The limbs are 1.5" at handle tapering to .5" at tips.

Truefully, I am not sure why I decided to take the 1x2 and split it except that by doing so I would save some lumber. In retrospect, I might have saved about $5.00 lol.

Thanks!

vtclimber

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 10:53:51 am »
Sorry, to clarify the splitting the board. I took the 1x2 and split it so I then had 2 boards that were 3/8" thick x1 1/2" wide.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 11:03:11 am »
Fine.  A 1/8 strip should bring it up to around 50 or more

vtclimber

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 11:07:53 am »
Sweet! Thanks! I'll try that this evening or tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. It is pretty addictive all in all!

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 11:32:28 am »

Currently the bow is as follows:

Just over 3/8" thick in the limbs. It is 58" ntn and pulling at about 35lbs at 24". I would like to get it to 45-50 at 28".
The limbs are 1.5" at handle tapering to .5" at tips.

If it's pulling 35# @ 24" it should be around 47# @ 28". I usually gain 3-4# per inch on Osage. I've never worked with Maple though.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 11:32:58 am »
You are probably close to that weight now at 28,just not sure if a Maple 58 n-n will handle 28 inch draw. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 11:44:42 am »
I agree with the above...58" is a little short for a 28" draw, especially when you're looking for 50+lbs.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

vtclimber

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 11:46:21 am »
I was wondering if it would make it to 28 or not...I suppose I'll try to back it with 1/8 piece of maple and go from there with a shorter draw. I can deal with a shorter draw if need be.

Out of curiousity, what would be a good length of maple to achieve a 28" draw? I can't really complain too much as it is my first real attempt. I suppose if it doesn't blow apart I can consider it a success lol.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 12:45:50 pm »
I would say at least 64 and I would probably go 66 if I wasn't going to back it. I haven't work with much Maple so maybe someone that has will chime in.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 01:36:00 pm »
I'm confused. A 1 x 2 is actually 3/4" x 1.5 ".  Splitting it would give 3/4" by 3/4". Splitting means you ripped it end to end. Unless by splitting you mean you cut it in half. I don't know what the hack you mean. LOL. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

vtclimber

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 02:14:24 pm »
lol, sorry for any confusion. Yes, a 1x2 is actually 3/4 x 1 1/2. What I did is cut it lengthwise so that I ended up with 2 pieces that were 3/8 x 1 1/2. I guess the correct term would be resaw to make thinner boards...

Right or wrong, the mentality I had was that by doing that and then gluing them up I alternate grain, etc. Not sure if it will work as planned lol, but I figured it was worth a try. I'll try to post some pics either today or tomorrow. Sometimes (most of the time) pics do a better job af telling the story than I do :)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 03:58:40 pm »
As far as draw...a lot of people do go shorter than I do, but I really like my 68~72" bows.  I draw nearly 30", though, so maybe a couple ches shorter...but I wouldn't go as far down as 64".  Just me, though.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline rebelrecurve

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 04:49:28 pm »
I only have access to maple and oak for boards, so I tend to like the maple.  I keep my bows at around 64" for my 26" draw, and usually keep the weight at around #45-47.   I'd go for 66" just to be on the safe side.
Mike