Author Topic: Sealer for BBI bows?  (Read 4333 times)

Offline Tim B

Re: Sealer for BBI bows?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 12:09:36 am »
Well it appears I truly live in the Gestapo state. I can't find any alcohol based dye in a state that lets you marry the same sex, save the gay whales or be a movie star Governor. Go figure! The dye company will not ship to California because of enormous fines so do you guys have any other ideas?

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 10:08:37 am »
i like tru-oil
6-10 coats with 00 steel wool or 1500 micrimesh between coats
only thing is if you got cocobolo in your riser the tru-oil never dries, i even had trouble getting it to dry after a rub down w/acetone, really oily wood

You can rub down with acetone - then use superglue to seal the cocobolo.  I've used a coat or too of shellac before the final coats of poly...they say shellac sticks to about anything....

Offline Dano

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 10:14:45 am »
Tim, you can mix rit dye with alcohol and get better results.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Tim B

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 04:04:54 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try if one of the website I found on-line that carry it will not ship it to me. Also found the Defthane spray on at Home Depot so I'll give it a try after the color goes on as well.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 04:21:52 pm »
i like tru-oil
6-10 coats with 00 steel wool or 1500 micrimesh between coats
only thing is if you got cocobolo in your riser the tru-oil never dries, i even had trouble getting it to dry after a rub down w/acetone, really oily wood

You can rub down with acetone - then use superglue to seal the cocobolo.  I've used a coat or too of shellac before the final coats of poly...they say shellac sticks to about anything....
I have found that is about the only way to seal cocobolo or blood wood.    Deft would work too, but you cant get it anymore.  Still super glue and shellac are great for oily woods.

Offline Tim B

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 08:46:44 pm »
The Defthane I found was the water based version and is not recommended for outdoors so that is out of the question as well. I guess I'll look for the Tru-Oil and see if that is available here.

Offline Dano

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 09:21:55 pm »
You should be able to find Tru Oil at a sporting good store, or Wally world in the Sporting goods section. Dang Calif. is getting tough.

Nevada

Offline Tim B

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 11:13:01 pm »
Ridiculous is more like it. You can buy cigarettes but not good dye or clear coat? >:(

Offline Dano

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 11:23:44 pm »
Yeah, I hear ya Tim. I was in San Luis Obispo probably 20 years ago when I smoked, you couldn't smoke on the street downtown.  ::) needless to say I dread going to Calif. now days.

Nevada