Author Topic: Paper for backing?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Paper for backing?
« on: October 17, 2009, 09:52:50 pm »
Would it be possible to use heavy paper for backing on a light bow?  We have some rice paper that's got some interesting designs on it that we would like to use but not sure if it would suit by itself or if we would have to reinforce it.

Thanks
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Dano

Re: Paper for backing?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:58:18 pm »
Paper won't give you any more weight if that's what your looking for. It does make a good backing for a questionable back tho.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 10:56:29 pm »
or decorative purposes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 11:05:10 pm »
Yeah Pat, your last bow looked real good in all those pieces.  ::)

Nevada

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 11:08:37 pm »
That bow had deer rawhide under the tiger striped tissue paper.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:29:56 pm »
Nah not strength...that was one of the considerations for the backing: minimal added reinforcement.  Th emissus can only draw about 30lbs and it's difficult to get red oak down that far while still have a safe mass.  I just want something that'll help solidify the grain...and she'll like it cuz it'll mean she can make it "pretty".
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 11:32:50 pm »
You will be surprised how strong paper and glue can be. The rice paper probably has longer fibers so it should be stronger than standard brown bag paper.

Offline Dano

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 11:36:57 pm »
" she'll like it cuz it'll mean she can make it "pretty" I completely understand mak  ::) I've used tissue paper as well, that and the TB2 worked pretty good.

Sorry Pat I forgot about the rawhide.

Nevada

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 11:20:59 am »
I haven't done it myself, but I've seen several whitewood bows backed with brown paper.

bob the boywer

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 03:14:33 am »
The paper backing will give the bow a little protection from lifting splinters but not much else. I guess it would provide some durability as well. Imagine opening a Christmas present that was covered in glue and rice paper. I've wrapped gifts with duct tape, but rarely paper. ;) It would have to be opened with a saw.

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 11:39:28 am »
Yes I remember the presents...

Not looking for added strength, though...just that help with a less-than-ideal grain.  Kalee can't draw my 50lb bow more thana  few inches so the less added to the draw the better.  Shooting for 30lbs.

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 07:25:45 pm »
I backed a red oak board bow, made from a scrap off cut that was too ugly to get too serious about.  I used heavy brown paper shopping bag stock.  the slivers didn't even slow down going through it.  I ended up glueing them, and wrapping with dental floss, and covering with more brown paper.  That worked OK.  I really want to try some Tyvek some time.  'Course there's about a thousand things I want to try before I cash in. 

piper

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 03:25:27 am »
Yeah Pat, your last bow looked real good in all those pieces.  ::)

BAAAAAAD.
Frank from Germany...