Author Topic: Very first arrow  (Read 4751 times)

Offline chasing crow

Re: Very first arrow
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 06:47:48 am »
Dogleg,
That is a nice arrow, fletching and point. I think I will try to make a point like that. Any more info on how to would be great. Thanks for sharing.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline dogleg

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 02:28:57 am »
Chasing Crow,

It's not hard to do.  I just took a thinline permanent marker, and drew out the point, using a 32nd inch graduated ruler to measure, in order to keep things as even as possible.  Then I used a cut-off wheel in an air powered die grinder to cut it out.  This will take some practice.  I use these wheels every day at work, so I'm used to their quirks.  Go very lightly, until you get a feel for how they act.  I cut to the outside edge of the lines, then grind them into an even shape, and even start the edges with them.
Then I harden and temper them.  If you're not familiar with this process, the best thing you can do is go to the library or book store and get a good book on blacksmithing.  It should have enough info to get you started.  I'm sure you've heard this enough, already, but the best thing you can do is just dig in and start experimenting.  One saw blade will give you lots of material, and I used an oxyacetylene torch for the heat treating.  If you don't want to get too technical, you could probably do just fine without the heat treating, but then you should probably be more carefull not to take the temper out while cutting, cooling often with water.  Honestly, you can cut one of these things out in a blink.  It probably took me longer to sharpen it than it did to cut it out, and I'm a rank amateur.  Just get busy with it, and have some fun.  Oh yeah, and post pics of your results.  I don't know about everyone else, but I love seeing everyone else's stuff, and what they're up to.

dogleg
Mayflies live for just one day.  Some days, it rains.

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 06:26:50 am »
Gogleg, thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. I have a nice shaft I made from a shoot and want to make my own tip befor I finish it. Thanks again for sharing.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 12:12:31 pm »
Howdy DogLeg and Group,

I made one of those feather clamps.  I used two small boards with some duct tape to hold them together.  The clamp worked great.  Using my belt sander, I did about 20 feathers in less than 15 minutes.

Thanks again for sharing you idea(s) with us all.

All the Best,
Canoe   
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey