Author Topic: Do you keep your wood bow in a brace?  (Read 19826 times)

Offline Dano

Re: Do you keep your wood bow in a brace?
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2009, 09:25:56 pm »
I am still laughing my friend, because I really don't give a crap what you think at this point, I don't spout revelations, as you do, I speak from experience. The thing about the internet is people like you can show up anonymously and start their crap and go away. You begin to show up this way, I guess we'll see ya.  ;) Have a nice day
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 09:27:17 pm »
And let me thank you Rhinemold, for giving me a laugh today. ;D
Somehow I dont think youre laughing.

Oh and btw, your revelation about 'relaxing' the bow didnt pan out...after an hour I measured the set and its exactly the same as when unstrung.

I guess archery isnt a religion after all huh?
Actually, it did pan out. You now know that the damage is perminant. Hysteresis is damaged wood. Set is the visable symptom of hysteresis. Pulling the wood straight can remove the visable symptom, but it doesn't undo the damage. I have had some bows with set. You can usually flex it backward and the bow will appear to straighten or even keep reflex. Now string it and pull and the set has come right back. You can try 18 million other options including heat treating and it wont undo the damage to the wood.  Call it what you want, it is a feel good exercise. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Far East Archer

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2009, 09:34:10 pm »
Un, this correct here.^

I used think same when I first start, but find it not do anything.
The bending steel rod example is what came to mind after some time and I stopped doing it.

Do you see improvement when you do this? I think, if need to redo every time, it no improve.....
Dont worry about set, its not big deal anyways.... If you need to pack a bow in tube, maybe this is good way to get fit inside.
Its just better learn why bow take set, and build better for next.

Welcome! and good luck!

Rhinegold

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 10:23:53 pm »
Pulling the wood straight can remove the visable symptom, but it doesn't undo the damage. I have had some bows with set. You can usually flex it backward and the bow will appear to straighten or even keep reflex. Now string it and pull and the set has come right back. You can try 18 million other options including heat treating and it wont undo the damage to the wood.
Yes, it makes sense to me that compressed wood will not entirely return to its former state by tension. But if the heat treatment idea doesnt work...doesnt this mean that using heat to create reflex when the bow is made would also have no real effect?

Rhinegold

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 10:40:37 pm »
Dont worry about set, its not big deal anyways.... If you need to pack a bow in tube, maybe this is good way to get fit inside.
Its just better learn why bow take set, and build better for next.
You are Japanese...from Okinawa yes?

How do they store traditional Japanese bows.

"A good bamboo yumi seems almost alive. When new, it is strong and full of energy, and must be watched over carefully and gently corrected to keep it in proper shape. Special shaping blocks are available for this job (see Accessories). A yumi must also be protected from extremes of cold, heat, moisture, and dryness."

http://www.kyudo.com/kyudo-e5.html

Rhinegold

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 10:45:35 pm »
don't give a crap what you think at this point...
And I have little reason to complain!

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 10:49:01 pm »
if you heat bend or steam bend to reflex wood this is done before limbs are stressed from normal use . the reflexing is not to undo damage but to shorten the working portion of the limb. this is normally done for increased poundage and speed, not for fixing a problem with set , reflexing after set has occured will most likely increase stress and cause more set.                                                  having said that i am a newbie and could have my facts wrong if so please step in and by all means let me know !

Offline Dano

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 11:13:23 pm »
Ol' Rhinemold ain't gonna give in, he's just makin it up as he goes.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 11:49:05 pm »

I know the kind of experience we have here on PA. IMO, literally the very best wood bowyers in the world. Yes, I said WORLD!
 That being said...No, I don't keep my bow in a brace :)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline MaceG

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2009, 02:57:43 am »
Every time you draw, you damage the wood a little...some more than others, but each draw puts irreversible stress on the fibers. 

Every time you over draw, maybe, but I don't believe you damage your bow every time you draw.
Set happens - Jawge

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2009, 04:32:38 am »
well said dano (all of your posts) and Saw filler...new guy's a know it all (till his bow breaks)

Ky
GBR!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2009, 06:45:09 am »
What do you do to prevent your wood bow from taking on too much of a set?

My 2 cents worth, "Never overstress the wood" its about that simple Rhinegold :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2009, 07:44:18 am »
Pulling the wood straight can remove the visable symptom, but it doesn't undo the damage. I have had some bows with set. You can usually flex it backward and the bow will appear to straighten or even keep reflex. Now string it and pull and the set has come right back. You can try 18 million other options including heat treating and it wont undo the damage to the wood.
Yes, it makes sense to me that compressed wood will not entirely return to its former state by tension. But if the heat treatment idea doesnt work...doesnt this mean that using heat to create reflex when the bow is made would also have no real effect?
My post seems to be missing so I'll re write it.
Try heating some suitable wood, you will find it changes quite dramatically, almost like plastic (to use another analogy, as my steel rod one was so well received :P), when cooled it returns to near it's original state, and indeed can be bent and re bent several times without detrement.
My previous post did have some serious content, (as well as trying to make you reach for the dictionary ;))
Del
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 02:24:31 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2009, 09:27:07 am »
Rhinegold, try to keep an open mind. There a lot of people on here who know tons about making wooden bows and Dano is one of them. Sometimes, the best thing to do is say thank you when a question is answered. No one says you have to take the advice that was offered. No, I do not keep my bows in a brace. It is usually not a good idea to bend a selfbow backwards even a little bit. I do try to keep moisture laden air away from my hickory bows. In the summer, I keep hickory bows in AC which removes moisture from the humid air. It is very dry here in the winter so I do nothing special at that time. I looked at the Yumi site. I think that bow brace may keep the recurves in line is what the site said. Regarding removing set once it has registered in a bow- since set is caused by the collapse of belly wood removing it is almost impossible in areas that are bending. However, in most bows the handle does not bend nor do the last 6 inches of the tips. Putting a set back in the handle or reflexing the tips a bit may mitigate some of the set. If the string follow is less than 2 inches in a straight stave I'm happy. Have fun. Enjoy your bow and the time spent here. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Simple Hunter

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2009, 10:51:47 am »
I don`t post here very much but I do read allot of what is said and I would say most advise I have seen is spot on.