Author Topic: first bow finish  (Read 2555 times)

Offline cailean

first bow finish
« on: October 15, 2009, 11:02:37 am »
 I've just completed my first hickory longbow and i'm ready to stain and put a finish on it... is it best to burnish with boiled linseed oil or can i do that with paste floor wax...whats the best way to get a good water-proofing but still lets the bow wood breathe and stay in tuned with ambient air moisture content so the wood doesn't dry out and become brittle?

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: first bow finish
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 11:14:45 am »
I would say go buy some tru oil...seems to work pretty good for me

P.S. No boiling required with it!

-Ky
GBR!

Offline cailean

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 11:17:59 am »
I've looked for "Tru Oil" in my local hardware store and can't seem to find it..does it have any other names?...i live in Canada so it's name may be different here than in the States

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 11:21:20 am »
I had a hard time finding it in local stores too....then i went into a small local sports store and they had a few bottles for finishing gun stocks....you can also find it on 3riversarchery.com and they are a paid advertiser for the site so I would recommend them...can't wait to see pics of the bow!

-Ky
GBR!

Offline cailean

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:24:13 am »
TYVM Kyler...i'll start looking at a few Gun Shops in the area...Cheers ;D

Offline cailean

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 11:27:35 am »
i'll post afew pics of my first attempt at being a bowyer as soon as i can too...tyvm all

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 11:32:13 am »
Try anywhere that sells gun supplies,It is used a lot for refinishing gun stocks. Spray Polly
will work also.I use it sometimes,just be sure and seal the hickory as good as you can,it will really suck up the moisture.Then store it in a dry place when you are not using it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

roofus

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:57:00 am »
For my hunting bows I use rattle can Poly Urethane. I spray it on a flour sack cloth and hand rub it in. Brings out the nice natural color of the wood and makes a satin finish. No glare when hunting that way. You can lightly wet sand between coats if needed. A little water and 500 grit or finer.

Rob