Author Topic: Short Self Bow Help?  (Read 9324 times)

Offline TheWildCat

Short Self Bow Help?
« on: October 11, 2009, 05:51:14 pm »
Ok Y'all. I am lookin fer some information. I want to build a Short Self Bow (No Backin)...approx. 60" Tip to Tip...50#@28". I love my Long Bows, but want to Turkey Hunt from a ground blind in the Spring. I suspect I am gonna hear Osage and Hickry as the primary wood choice, but what other choices are there fer that short a bow? Is there a limit to how short a self bow you can make @ 28" draw? What style would best handle these specs? How wide should the limbs be at the fades? Anyone have one that they have built that resembles these specs?
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline sailordad

Re: Short Self Bow Help?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 06:10:44 pm »
well i would say,osage or ipe,  bend thru the handle "d" bow
dont know about the dimensions though
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 06:31:29 pm »
What kind of wood do you have access too? You can build a short bow from almost anything, but we need to know what kind of wood before we can even begin to tell you what dimensions to use. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Shadow Walker

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »
i use hop hornbeam for my short bows. I make them very short...like 48".
the HHB takes a lot of stress! and it's extremely fast!
I have posted one that is 48". It isd backed though, with HHb bark, but that was done for camo effect rather than protection.
It is 1-3/4" at the fades down to 1/2 ' at the tips.
I have had no problems with HHB selfbows of this lenght, so, it should definately handle 60".
If you want to check it out, the post is entitled " all bark and a lot of bite"
hope that helps!

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 08:29:27 pm »
At a 28" draw an osage "d" bow 56" long would work real well, you could go shorter, if you want to push it. You'll have to flip the tips a tad for string angle. My last short bow was 52" 1 1/4" wide to mid limb tapered to 3/8" this bow was only tillered to 26" but the guy I gave it to is shooting it at 27", so it's prolly 53# at that draw. This bow had a big knot in the handle area so it wasn't quite a "D" bow , but it did bend through the handle.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline woodstick

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 08:56:08 pm »
i have made 2 at 54" @ 26" draw worked real good osage .
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline sulphur

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 10:09:30 pm »
hackberry makes a surprisingly good short bow.  its really pretty tough.  however, i must recommend osage too.  but there are lots of ways to come up with a good shortie.  I have a 57" recurve osage about to get some sinew.  hopefully that will be my spring turkey bow!!! can't wait!!  good luck ;D

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 10:41:10 pm »
I agree with ya Sailordad, I believe it will have to bend through the handle fer sure. And no doubt Osage is at the top a the list. I have neer worked Ipe, but might consider it. Justin, I purposely didn't tell ya what was available to me so I wouldn't be limited to what is just local. I am interested in all the different woods that are up to the task. I live in SW Florida, so I have to obtain most of my woods from out sources any ways. Shadow Walker, the Hop Hornbeam sure interest me. My plans are short to me, but obviously long next to your 48" bow. Thanks fer the pics Dano. Thats a pretty bow and definately a testimony fer Osage. Thanks fer the input Woodstick...Osage has a strong followin, and I can see why. Sulphur, Hackberry is one I fergot bout, and it is a local grower here. I have a buddy who has a hackberry longbow and it shoots great. Thanks fer all the input.
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 11:05:27 pm »
Yes, there is a limit and in part, it depends on the wood. Using osage the bow dims you want can be done but it won't be easy. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Shadow Walker

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 12:29:35 am »
Her's an example of what can be done wit hop hornbeam. This is the 48" bow.

[attachment deleted by admin]