Author Topic: About draw what ???????  (Read 4051 times)

lungbuster

About draw what ???????
« on: October 11, 2009, 08:30:02 am »
just to say if the bow is pulling 32# at 25" the what # do u think it would be at 28" or 29"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: About draw what ???????
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:42:33 am »
Zero Pounds.....if it's a Selfbow and was only Tillered to draw to 25 inches.....You are seriously taking a Chance at destroying this Bow....and harming Yourself or anyone else around You....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

lungbuster

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:12:16 am »
i pull it back easy and could be pull 5000 times like that it take much more then that it ,could be pulling 30" with no proublems,it a bear bow recurve,iam just asking what your guest would be for it
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:16:44 am by lungbuster »

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:31:13 am »
Take a few measurements of draw weight in relation to draw length.  Ex: 0#@6", 15#@18" and so forth

Then plot these values on a graph of draw weight vs draw length.  The dots should line up to a degree.  Now draw a line through these dots (or guess the average between them) all the way past the point where 28" of draw length is on the graph.  Now all you have to do is look up what draw weight connects with 28 or 29"

I'm not exactly sure if this works with recurves though.  They should have a higher early weight.

My graph shows me 37# at 28" and 39# at 29".

Probably better to weigh it directly though.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

lungbuster

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:40:20 am »
thank you,that sound about rite,i dont have or  own a scale,is there anyother way to find the draw wight of your bow????????????????????

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 10:35:10 am »
if you have an old bathroom scale,analog not digital
make a tiller stick witha base on it,place said stick on scale,place bow on stick,pull bow and watch dail on scale
this is how i check every bow i make
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

lungbuster

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 10:51:21 am »
i dont even have one of them  :o :o

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 10:51:39 am »
I think what you are asking for is "the number of pounds per inch of draw" and usually that is about 3# per inch, MOL...but like El Destructo said if you pull a bow past the draw length it was tillered to  you will eventually ruin the bow and maybe injure yourself. Even with a manufactured glass bow like a Bear if it is made to pull 32#@25" then it should not be pulled much past that on a regular basis even if it can be.
   If the draw weight is too low for you with the bow you have, get another bow that fits you and  give or sell the lighter weight bow to someone that would appreciate it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 11:43:30 am »
Very Solid Advice Pat.....I would hate to see someone injured from pulling a lightweight Bow too Far....Heck if you need a Stronger Weight Bow....put this Bow up for Trade on the Trading Post here...and see Who wants it and what They have....I know of a few on Here that collect old Laminated Recurves....so you may give that a Thought.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

lungbuster

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 11:51:31 am »
thank that all i needed to no,happy hunting.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 12:41:48 pm »
Yup ,you will want a heavier bow for that buck.
Now is the good old days

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 12:43:30 pm »
.........and either  Generation 1 Nightvision....or someone else holding the Spotlight for you........ ::) They don't normally get the Large....Being Stupid.......... ;D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Traxx

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 06:29:57 pm »
Unless it was a custom Job,it was made and measured at 28" draw.That being the case,it is a 40 lber at 28" within a pound or 2 either way.And Yes,that bow would be fine for killing that buck in the pic,provideing you do your part and place a well tuned arrow in the right place.Ive seen it done with less and a passthrough.

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 11:18:09 pm »
yup next year ill hunt a 41#er w/woodsman heads, good combo >:D

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 12:16:45 am »
 ??? ???Im not sure if Ur asking for the sake of posting!!! I personally saw a relitive shatter a glass bow from over drawing it U would need to pull that bow more than 10 inches past recomended draw weight!!! That stuff is like splintering shrapnel good luck!!!! Hey I thought u made a bow or 2 why on earth would U attempt to shoot a dear like that with such a low draw weight!!! I use bows from 60 on up to 80 lbs flies fast and hits hard!!!! ??? ???
CHEERS!!!