Author Topic: How long does it take sinew to dry completely  (Read 10042 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

How long does it take sinew to dry completely
« on: October 10, 2009, 06:34:30 pm »
Just wondering how long I should wait to start the finishing after I put sinew on....the first layer seemed to dry in a day...

-Ky
GBR!

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: How long does it take sinew to dry completely
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 07:33:15 pm »
It is probably pretty dry feeling, but I would give it at least a week.  Also depends on how much (thick) you put down.  When sinewing you really introduce a lot of moisture to the wood.  So the longer you wait the better off you will be.  I got one drying for almost 7 months now. (not because I wanted to, but got onto other things)   It has 4 layers on it.  I'm  going to start work on it pretty soon. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 07:45:40 pm »
It depends on the humidity also. Take into consideration what the temp and where you store it.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 08:33:12 pm »
Im storing it in my basement.... about 75 degrees and 45-50 % humidity

-Ky
GBR!

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 08:39:29 pm »
I have an osage bow with some stringy sinew on it. To remove it to redo it, I will have to sand it off. It is on so tenaciously.
I have been impatient with sinew in the past and thought it to be cured in a couple of weeks. Then I have been disappointed when it comes off even with appropriate degreasing strategies, such as acetone rubs.
I recommend letting it dry at least for three months - I live in Montana which has dry humidty.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 03:49:01 am »
At that temp and humidity it will be MONTHS.  Do Not put a finnish on it till December it will be worth the wait.  Make sure to check the tiller before you finnish it. Good luck!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 03:59:21 am »
I always wait at least 3-4 months....and I live in in a Desert....never can wait too long....but you can sure shoot it too soon....... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 04:34:29 am »
I agree with El Destructo good things come........

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 07:52:36 am »
By letting it dry for that long do you mean totally leaving it alone? or will it be ok to do some final tillering as long as I wait to put my snake skins and tru oil (finishing) on it?  Good things take time and I don't want to waste all the time and effort Ive put into this one just for the sinew to fail....you guys are the greatest by the way!  free information rocks!

-Ky
GBR!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 08:18:01 am »
I do not even Draw My Bows once they are Sinewed for at least 3-4 Months....so I guess My Answer to You would be....No....on the Tillering....anytime that you put stress on the Sinew before the Sinew and Hide Glue are totally dry....is a chance that it will tear loose from the Wood and cause a Lamination Separation...or worse...a Limb Failure due to the Sinew pulling loose form the Wood....I Floor Tiller....and them do a good deal of my Final Tillering before I Sinew....I know that there are others that don't do any Final Tillering until the Sinew is on....but I was taught otherwise....I was taught to Floor Tiller....then Tiller a Bow out to about 1/2 it's Final Draw Length before Tillering.....then Lay Your Sinew down....Put the Bow in a Warm Dry Spot for 3-4 Months....then and Only Then do I finish Tillering the Bow....When You Sinew a Bow...it's not just the Moisture that has to evaporate from the Sinew and Glue....it is the Moisture that the Wood itself has reabsorbed that is plays a crucial part in the drying Process....so here is where Patience takes the lead!  JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 08:38:58 am »
Thanks Destructo!  I floor tillered then got the bow to full brace and a 21 inch draw before i sinewed....so now its just a waiting game i guess....at least I'll have it for spring turkey season! thanks for the help guys!  ;D

-Ky
GBR!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 10:42:14 am »
some one had posted a link for "Ed Scot on you tube"

in this vid he says that when he makes a sinew bow it takes up to 18 months before its finished
so patience is definatly a virtue for sinew
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 11:06:46 am »
I've only made a few sinew backed bows and with each one I fully tillered and shot in the bow before adding the sinew. There are lots of options about this method also. In 2 cases I added 3 courses of sinew and waited a month between each course before adding the next. After the last I added a thin layer of TBIII, let it cure overnight then added the snake skin covering with TBIII and gave it another few weeks before stressing it. I wrote an article for PA Magazine, "The Story of Elkie"(vol. 15 issue 5, Oct/Nov 2007  ) about the process I used when making Elkie.
   I believe the ancient Chinese waited 10 years or more before stressing their composite bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 11:10:37 am »
I think I can handle waiting 3-4....maybe 6 months....but 10 years is alittle overkill i think  >:D .... that would be torture on me!

-Ky
GBR!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 11:14:53 am »
I'm almost 60 now so 10 years would be ridiculous for me! ::)    My point is wait as long as it takes and you are getting good info from guys that have collectively built many sinew backed bows and that live in different areas of the country(or world) with different climatic conditions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC