Author Topic: BOW StRiNg question!!!  (Read 2773 times)

VenomBOWslinger

BOW StRiNg question!!!
« on: October 09, 2009, 10:18:30 am »
Hey guys how are you?  My question is do some of you make ur own strings cause that is one of the things I have never tried!  I read about it and watched videos and it dont appear to be difficult at all!! I make bows of all kinds Knapp points and fletch arrows why not learn to make strings!!! The flemish string looked relitively simple with that jig.  I know u can buy string material but it comes in many gauges I am not sure where to start!!! I know where to find out but always like opinions I collect them all and take in cosideration what each person has to offer and then kinda put it altogether!!! Thank u guys for everything thus far I have learned a lot and I have almost become obsessed ...who the hell am I kidding I AM OBSESSED with primitive archery and the PA members board!!!
CHEERS!!!! :D

Offline bryan irwin

Re: BOW StRiNg question!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:00:12 am »
I have made continus loop string of b50 dacron i use about 14 to 16 strands just made flemish string with fast flight for my new long bow i just finished out of bbi its very fast.
bryan irwin

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 11:03:17 am »
B-50 is a common material, its cheap but its downside is it stretchs, Fast Flight and other synethics don't stretch but can actually cut
the tip off your bow, high quality linen is used for strings, if ya want primitive than sinew or rawhide are good choices.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 11:18:23 am »
I bought the DVD "Doing the Twist" which is helpful but I got the same from this site:
http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/flemish1.htm
I never did make the jig but went straight to page two. The jig provides for a technique to shorten the strings to make a smooth taper. I just cut 1 1/2" off the second string, 2" off the second, etc. One thing I emphasize, if following the directions, be sure to twist the string counter-clockwise to finish it.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 12:24:21 pm »
Yep.  I make two types,  Flemish twist, or endless loops.  Use dacron 50 for both, as well as fastflight matterial for both.  Just depends on the bow im putting the string on.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 01:21:16 pm »
Don't waste time, just do it!  Order some B50 Dacron and get down to it.  My first one was a success and I'm still using the thing to tiller bows. 
1’—>1’

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 04:35:21 pm »
WOW this is what I need from all of U!!! I will take all possibilities OLD BOW U hit it on the head about twisting string counter clock wise thats ther design I have been studying I cant wait to get going on it asnd I have been posting and putting up pics all over! I'D LIKE TO SAYTHANKYOU TO ALL WHO HAVE TAKEN TIME OUT IN THEIR LIVES TO HELP MAKE THINGS WORK FOR ME!!! u HAVE ALL HAD NOTHING BUT KIND WORDS AND THIS ITSELF IS A GIFT THAT I ALWAYS WILL REMEMBER!!! AGAIN EVERYONE THANKYOU!!
CHEERS!

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 08:11:19 pm »
I don't make any endless loops, just Flemish Twist.   Easy......good thing to do while watching football or something on TV.  Watch all the YouTube videos.....you can practice with plain old white cotton kite string once you have waxed it.  I use just the B-50 from Three Rivers.  I made a lot of strings with no jig, then made the jig.   much faster, and predictable results.   My next project is to make a jig for Recurve Shooter and IanJohnson to use. 

JUST DO IT. 

piper

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 10:06:40 pm »
I will get some Dacron and keep my computer by mt side...Funny thing its all about being primitive but...processor speed and Megabytes will also be in affect!!! LOL!!!
CHEERS!!!

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 04:51:32 am »
i made my first using this link http://us.geocities.com/salampsio/flemish1.htm
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 04:54:55 am »
sorry I just realized oldbow already gave you that link but it is a pretty good build along
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 09:18:40 am »
ya just do what thatlink says and shows,and you cant go wrong
i too learned how from that link,i use the jig as i like predictable results.
i have only used b50 dacron.
it does stretch at first,but if you prestretch it then no worries when its on the bow
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd