Author Topic: 3 NOW WITH BONUS FULL DRAW PICS!!!!!!  (Read 6739 times)

Offline sailordad

3 NOW WITH BONUS FULL DRAW PICS!!!!!!
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:18:35 pm »
3 as in 3 bows

these are three bows that i have finished recently.they are the only ones for 2009
been to bust knapping all year,trying to get that figured out.seems i cant not knapp when i get to the work shop.
i usually go in there with the inTent of scraping wood,but in january io decidied to try knapping and now every time i go out there i just gotta knapp.
sometimes i start with a bpw,but always ended up smacking a rock into gravel.

well long story short,it took me since december on the self bow,the other two i have been working on since august.
the selfbow is the prop twisted hick i posted a pic of awhile back.its finished now,sealed with five coats of hand rubbed beeswax ontop of one coat that
was heated and melted into the wood.the other two are hick board bows with camo cotton fabric on the back.one has a paduak handle the oother a zebra wood handle
these two are for a guy that i sold a board bow to earlier in the year,hea wanted another for his wife and one for her dad.
he wanted them long like his,pretty much wanted two more like the one i sold him,just diff draw length/weights.so
sad thing is he wants me to cover the handles with leather,but i will keep the wrap short so i can still see the beautiful wood.

the one with zebra wood is pulling about 30-32# @ 25",the paduak handled one is pulling 48ish# @ 28".
itls a little heavier than he wanted but it just didnt want to drop any more weight after three scraping sessions so i said enough.i thought if it started to loose weight now,it would be a lot real fast and didnt want to come in under what he wanted.
i put about 75 arrows thru each today,like how they both shoot.the paduak handled bow is fast and hits hard.

my bow,the self bow is pulling about 48# @ 28",shoots real nice. at 10 yds(all the room i have to shoot in) i can put 6 out of 8 arrow in the vitals on my block 4x4.

well heres a couple of pics,i will get draw photos later

i also have close ups of the handles on the board bows, too pretty to cover.but hes paying me,so ill do as he wants.
thanks for looking

well

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:16:20 pm by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: 3
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:25:55 pm »
All 3 look nice. I kmow what you mean about knapping getting in the way of bow building.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline gmc

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 06:43:54 pm »
I'd say those "3" look pretty darn good. My farorite one of course would be the one on the top. Can't wait to see them bent. Nice work!

Greg
Central Kentucky

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 07:16:22 pm »
More pictures.  :D :D :D That is the pot  calling the kettle black isn't it.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 07:19:30 pm »
ya i like the selfbow the most too
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline John K

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 07:22:40 pm »
Look real nice Tim, yeah what Justin said  :D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 07:43:40 pm »
nice bows!!!  where's the full draws?   Seriously though good job man!   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:44:56 pm »
They all look nice to me. You've been a busy man.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Grunt

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 07:51:25 pm »
What are you going to do with the $ from the bows? Buy wood or rocks or both?

Offline NTProf

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 09:18:59 pm »
What kind of wood are the bows with the zebrawood and paduak handels? Did you make them out of boards or staves? Great looking bows.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 09:31:30 pm »
Nice looking bows! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 09:36:25 pm »
Three bows, well that is more than I have made. Good work and nice bows.      kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 09:46:25 pm »
3 geat bows, Ive wanted to start knapping but havnt figured out where to start.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline NTProf

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 10:04:43 pm »
I did not read the post carefully enough. I see that the other two bows are hickory boards.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 12:12:40 am »
well i know ya ll have been waiting patiently for the draw pics.
so i had the wife take some
only problem is that i forgot to put the memory card back into the camera,now the pics are on the cameras internal memory and i dont
know how to transfer them from there,but i will have her take more tomorrow and i WILL put the memory card back in first.
i am only going to post the draw pics of the board bows,because i am not real propud of the tiller on the self bow
thought i had it better than it is,thts what i get for rushing myself just to get it finished.it will work for hunting this year.then i will start a new one AGAIN.
i dont know if i was drinking some of the grape when i tillered it or what but i dont like the tiller.maybe i will redo it,itll make it lighter but what the hell
the neighbor kid needs a new bow too ;D
well check back tomorrow night and i will have the pics of the board bows up.
thanks again

as far as what i am going to do with the money,i dont get alot for these bows.usaully a little more than cost of materials.
i havent sold a selfbow yet,but if and when then i will chage better orice for them.but these are just board bows that i can make shootible in about
an hours time,its all the finish details that take me forever.i actually spend more time doing the finish work on these than the actuall making a bow out of a board takes.
however i do plan on some rock,but most of it goes into savings as we are planning a trip to virginia to see our sons over thanksgiving.
which reminds me,does anyone know of an area in the little creek/norfolk area that i would be able to find some cane and or rock while i am there?

thanks again
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:23:23 am by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd