Author Topic: Reflexing question  (Read 2424 times)

Offline MaceG

Reflexing question
« on: October 01, 2009, 11:05:16 pm »
Where's the best place to induce reflex on a bow to reduce string follow. I'm working on a 80" stiff handled red maple bow. Would you start at the fades, midlimb, or...
Set happens - Jawge

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Reflexing question
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:12:37 pm »
An 80" bow pulled 28" shouldn't have any significant string follow unless you over stress the limbs as you are tillering it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 11:28:30 pm »
Yeah like Pat said, i wouldn't even bother heating reflex into the limbs with a bow that is that long.  Should be a pretty sweet shooter too with no stack from the string angle being so low.  Should be a very smooth drawing bow.  Just make sure to get the limbs bending equally from the fades to around 7 inches from the tips and to not pull the bow past your intended draw weight.   If you really wanted to heat in reflex though do it to the whole limb.  Build a form and heat from the fades to the tips equally while clamping it into reflex.  I usually do this after low brace drawing to around 20 inches or so at my draw weight.  Heat 2 inches of reflex EVENLY into each limb and let it rehydrate a few days and resume tillering.  Hope this helps.  Good luck! :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline MaceG

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 11:39:52 pm »
   Thanks guys. I have some deflex in one limb I'm wanting to get out. The other limb has a little natural reflex in it, so I'm wanting match them up.
Thanks for the advice.
Set happens - Jawge

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 06:46:16 am »
If you don't have a form just string it up backwards with about a 3" to 4" brace height anduse a heat gun to
heat the limbs. Wait an hour or so for it cool before unstringing. If you don't hava aheat gun use the kitchen stove :)

One question why 80" ??? Thats truly a long bow
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 08:36:33 am »
I like reflex spread evenly over the whole limb or most of it. And yeah, 80" seems a bvit log. It'll be fun stringing it. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline MaceG

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 06:11:54 pm »
I just like the way it looks.
I got it standing in the corner, and every time I look at it I think, "Yeah...that's sweet."

Got to admit, stringing it had yet to cross my mind.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:17:02 pm by MaceG »
Set happens - Jawge

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 10:44:58 pm »
I'm just curious and i have to ask why you are making the bow so long when you don't really need to. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline MaceG

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 03:11:26 am »
     I don't know, jawge, there's just something about it that appealed to me. I wanted to make a really long bow and I had a stave that long, so I thought, why not?
Aesthetics over efficiency, I guess. But if it turns out way sluggish, I'll cut it down some.

I got three more staves waiting once I get this one done. As far as red maple goes, what design would give me the most efficiency?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:37:32 am by MaceG »
Set happens - Jawge