Author Topic: Who are we?  (Read 22343 times)

Offline Newbow

Re: Who are we?
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2009, 04:22:34 am »
Here's a very rough map, but it will get you around.  You asked about tools:  I would recommend a small shovel (fox hole type or similar), a large pry bar, a small, straight pry bar (say 24") and a small sledge (4lbs).  I've found it much easier, when working in a hole, to use the sledge and short bar to work the rock, and a small shove works easier than a full size one.  You often see a pick suggested, but a pick doesn't work nearly as well, in my opinion, as a large pry bar, which works the ground (rocks) with less shock and more accuracy.  The first trip I made there was with a full size shovel and a pick and it was murder.  A rock hammer would be handy but not critical, if you wanted to add another tool.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline stickbender

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2009, 10:24:45 am »

NewBow, thanks, I really appreciate the map.  It sure helps when you have some idea of where you are going, when you go there for the first time.  Yeah, I bought a rock hammer the last time I was out in Montana.  Hard to find.  Even down here.  They have no clue, when you ask for it.  I asked for a rock hammer, and they thought I meant a pneumatic hammer, so I said a masonry hammer.  Nope didn't have one.  I finally found one in Billings.  Short handled though.  Strange. ::)  I have a nice German military entrenching tool, with a nice pick on it.  I have a nice five pound hammer, and some wrecking bars, and a short, about four foot, of 1" by 1" square stainless steel bar stock.  I think I might have a long pry bar somewhere here.  Thanks again,

Wayne

Offline Newbow

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2009, 03:20:56 pm »
Stickbender:  Here's that pic:

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2009, 11:33:47 pm »
Mark Ostrenga, Menominee MI, in da UP, not up as far as Dana but still the same, I've been knapping off and on for about a year or so maybe longer, right now I'm in a stage where I haven't had the fever as bad, been hunting so everything gets put aside. won't be long and I'll chip some rock and build some more bows.
I just turned 46 this month.

biddysere

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2009, 12:22:34 am »
Been knapping since 1979. Raised in NW Florida but got serious in "85 when in Washington state. So, Don't know if that makes me a westerner or easterner?  I'm just a part- timer, my knapping comes in waves. along with all the other primitive technology skills I play with. Knappin has come along way in a short time, as everyones pictures shows the value of spreading the word and experimenting. What I've could've done with the internet and knap-ins back then! When I started, I probably heard of a half a dozen people in the U.S. that were knappin'. Living in Lower Alabama now. If there are any knappers around that would like to get together and break some rocks, give me a shout!

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2009, 04:28:59 pm »
Biddyspere- how close to Mobile?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2009, 09:30:58 pm »
name is Stanley live in lewiston idaho 17yrs old and been knapping for about a year now and learned a lot. here are all of my pionts and one knife the the bets knapping in the world but i am getting better. only worked with obsidian so far but like it a lot. would like to try flint though

Offline canidsong

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2009, 11:07:19 pm »
I'm Justin in central california, 25. I've been knapping for about 2 years I think, on and off, but thoroughly addicted. I mostly knap obsidian and synthetic glass, but I'll play with anything I can lay my hands on. I also make self and laminate bows, knives and other things. I'm an obsessive DIY guy. I consider it one of my life goals to become as well educated as your average paleo-human.

fair progress from some of my early bottle glass points:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:47:28 pm by canidsong »

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2009, 11:53:59 pm »
NAme is Jeff, live in Plant City Florida, 5th generation Floridian, like Eddie not many of us around here anymore. I am a digger/divier of artifacts and have never knapped before. Claude has been trying to teach me to knap for a few years but I just havent wanted to get into another obession yet.lol.

In my over 25 years of collecting i have found coral sites that are now under construction and have been taking it home for years now. Claude taught me how cook it a few years ago and now I`m getting in to bifacing it. I find that working the rock comes easy to me, maybe its from sitting around and talking to Claude and watching what he does. I have an appreciation for the skill of it and latley have been finding myself out back sitting by my pit and rock pile taking cooked spalls out and start to work them more.. I can spall all day long but never progressed anymore towards flintknapping.  I love to see what others do with it.

I got into cabbing my coral  so at least I do something with it. My girlfriend is Puerto Rican so I`m always busy making some kind of bling for her. Warhawk can agree with that huh? haha  Y`all keep up the good work because some of are watching and learning.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2009, 01:37:57 am »
Jcinpc, you sure got some purdy rocks there.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2009, 03:39:30 pm »
same as hillbilly except my name is jamie and i live in ct. and i plant trees not look for em.  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline II BYRDS

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2009, 11:05:42 am »
My name is Niizh Bineshii ( II byrds ) in Ojibwa. Male 48 Ohio. Started studying the native tribe of the Anishanabie ( Ojibwa ) looking for alternatives to modern medicins for prostate cancer. Past five years of going to per 1840s rendezvous, looking to making all of my own things, bags, powder horns, knives so on and so forth. Talking to a gentleman here at work i new he had made arrows in the past. come to find out he is a bow/arrow maker from heritage. His great grandfather was a tool maker for the native tribe Cherokee and his grandfather was his teacher. He, Dan was just a young fella helped grandpaw make bows and arrows for the children for a Cherokee reservation. So Dan and i have become good friends and having Dan as my teacher has helped a lot. Now Dan has moved to Utah and i am on my own and not finding much time for napping. Dan did send me a very large box of obsidian, so maybe this spring i will find time to do some napping. If any of you like to read take some time and read the books. Earth Children's series by Jean Auel these will take you back 20,000 years.

Miig Wicth

Offline DanaM

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2009, 11:42:40 am »
II Byrds, I've read those books and I thourghly enjoyed them :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline canidsong

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2009, 09:01:02 pm »
My name is Niizh Bineshii ( II byrds ) in Ojibwa. Male 48 Ohio. Started studying the native tribe of the Anishanabie ( Ojibwa ) looking for alternatives to modern medicins for prostate cancer. Past five years of going to per 1840s rendezvous, looking to making all of my own things, bags, powder horns, knives so on and so forth. Talking to a gentleman here at work i new he had made arrows in the past. come to find out he is a bow/arrow maker from heritage. His great grandfather was a tool maker for the native tribe Cherokee and his grandfather was his teacher. He, Dan was just a young fella helped grandpaw make bows and arrows for the children for a Cherokee reservation. So Dan and i have become good friends and having Dan as my teacher has helped a lot. Now Dan has moved to Utah and i am on my own and not finding much time for napping. Dan did send me a very large box of obsidian, so maybe this spring i will find time to do some napping. If any of you like to read take some time and read the books. Earth Children's series by Jean Auel these will take you back 20,000 years.

Miig Wicth

those books spoke to me strongly.

flinthills50

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2009, 12:09:20 am »
Cool thread! I'm Craig from Eureka, Ks. I "know" some of you from Paleoplanet. woodbow1 is a friend of mine and he suggested I join PA too. I've been knapping for a little more than 5 years now. I'll be 60 next year(Well, My BODY will be 60!). How this twentysomething mind got HERE, is a complete mystery to me! ;D I retired 4 yrs. ago after working 34 yrs. in the oil industry. Was a MP in the army before that, and juat a smartarse kid prior! I found my first arrowhead in 1959 and have been fasinated ever since! I've always liked to huntnfish, so naturally, after learning how to make a point, I had to learn how to make a bownarrow! I've hunted deer the last two seasons with my sticknstones unsucessfully so far, BUT, I have enjoyed the hunt more than I EVER thought possible! I've still got lots to learn, hopefully there's still plenty of time to try! If I can figure out how to post pictures, they will be of some of my most recent points. All were slabs or flakes because of the cold weather. I just did some pressure flaking in by the woodstove in the shop. Well, thats my story and I'm stickin to it! Craig