Author Topic: Who are we?  (Read 22345 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Who are we?
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2009, 06:58:41 pm »
im going monday to where they just built a college supposed to be rock pile half size of a house there , local guy said there was coastal there .. not sure but i know when they built the bypass that goes through there they unearthed lots of artifacts .. state came in and removed everything . so there has to be useable rock close

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2009, 07:26:41 pm »
TJ Miley been knapping for about a year. I like to knap whatever I can get my hands on. Been beating on some obsidian, dacite and chert lately. Will post pics as soon as I get the camera going.
North Wilkesboro, NC

OK I got the pics ready. These are most of what I have left after breakage and giving them away.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:43:52 pm by nugget »
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline nugget

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2009, 07:45:43 pm »
Most of them still need work. The first pic is of works in progress. the rest are various points.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2009, 09:37:46 pm »
I recognize some of that, especially the tortilla.  The more I hit it, the more I liked it.  Nice points.

Offline nugget

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2009, 10:57:26 pm »
The tortilla is some nice stuff. I am with you the more I whack it the better it gets  ;D. I am also liking the dacite alot.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2009, 12:50:17 pm »
Recurve:  The "red/black splotched stuff " is called mahogany obsidian.

Dave:  Looks like there are at least three of us from Washington on this board.  We'll all have to get together some day.

You got it! I do need to get back down to Glass Butes soon for more material. You guys up for car pooling down there? Maybe we can hitch a trailer on and load up Boulder of stuff! I was thinking the black butter that Jim Win uses might be fun to find too. That stuff knapps REAL NICE!!!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

GlassKnapper

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2009, 09:43:19 pm »
Patrick Daly: 25 years old, Gm of a Jimmy Johns in Charlotte NC. Been knapping for just under two years, my brother Mike taught me about everything I know about it. Havent been Knapping as much as I would like to but I have too many other projects going on, I think most of us have that problem :-) Heres a pic of some recent projects,

Didn't make the hawk head on the left but did make the haft

Offline dogleg

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 03:18:27 am »
Name's Mike, from north central Wisconson.  I'm 41, a carpenter by trade, and work as an overhead door tech./installer.  Not even a knapper, yet, but as soon as I figure out what to do and how to do it, I'll be on my way. ;)

Started out thinking that making bows would be cool.  Then had to have arrows to match the bow, and now need something real to tip the arrows with.  Wonder where it'll all end.  Been nothin' but great, so far.

dogleg

Mayflies live for just one day.  Some days, it rains.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2009, 08:23:07 am »
 If anybody needs Dacite, Brian Melton is sitting on a ton of it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2009, 07:35:27 pm »
Eddie one day you have got to meet up with me at Glass Buttes, OR. It will blow your mind! Obsidian, dacite and more for FREE!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline stickbender

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2009, 07:56:57 pm »

What city or cities are near Glass Buttes?  I will be living in Montana next year.

Wayne

Offline Newbow

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2009, 11:02:40 pm »
It's relative, of course, but Glass Buttes isn't really very near anywhere.  It's located south of hwy 20 between Bend and Burns, Oregon.  It's 77 miles from Bend and about 50 miles from Burns, and, except for a trading post at Riley, where US 395 meets hwy 20, there are no services in between.  Riley is about 100 miles from Bend.  You'll find Glass Buttes shown on most maps and you can get a site map and info from the BLM office just west of Burns.  The road used to be marked by a small wooden sign that said "Obsidian Drive" or something like that, but the sign hasn't been there for years.  The road is located about 1/10 of a mile west of milepost 77.  You need to drive in on an often rutted and always rough road for several miles and there you are; dig anywhere!  It's a huge area, really, and I haven't been everywhere, but I can get more detailed than that if you want.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2009, 11:54:52 pm »

Thanks Newbow, now I have a general idea of how to get there.  Is there any private land I should be aware of?  Are there any motels, in the area, or is it just camping?  What about gas etc.  I see it is in the area of Newberry volcanic national monument.  I would love to get a truck load of obsidian.  Especially some of the mahogany, and other types.  I would like to get some dacite also.  I am driving out to Montana at the end of this month, to my house I am having built, and I will be there till after Thanksgiving, and then heading on back home, and then I will start hauling stuff out there, and be living there by the middle of next year.  I will be living in Thompson Falls.  So I guess I will be better off driving down to Missoula, and then cutting across Idaho, and taking 95 to 20.  I guess it will be a day drive or so.  I will definitely be going there when I move on out there.  How bad is the weather out there in November?  Anything I should bring with me, besides, a shovel, and pick, gloves, and knapping tools?  Is the area, you can dig for rock, easily recognizable?  I don't want to start digging on someone's private property.  Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Wayne

Offline Newbow

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2009, 12:55:48 am »
I've seen a site map someplace on the Internet, but I can't find it now.  I guess I'll have to draw one.  Mahogany is the easiest to find and collect as there is a whole hill of the stuff with more surface rock than you can probably imagine.  Not a lot of size to it.  I did pick up a couple of 30-40 pounders there this last May, but most will be head size or smaller.  What is handy and more economical (little waste) is that you can pick around on the hillside and find up some really nice natural spalls; some are almost like sawn slabs.  I got a 5gal bucket of those in less than an hour.  The mahogany is nice quality, too.  There are motels in Burns, which is closer and the way you'd be coming.  I've always camped (truck camper) so don't know about what they'd cost.  I'm told that there is some private property way back, but you're unlikely to find it.  It's all BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land and you can dig anywhere.  There used to be a limit of 250lbs per person, per day, but I believe that has been reduced to per year.  Having said that, there is no one watching at the gate.  In November you probably won't even see anybody except possibly a hunter.  I've never seen a BLM agent in there. but that doesn't mean they never check.  Forewarned and all that.  It's open range (though there may not be cattle there in November) but it is split up with a very few fences.  You probably won't need to go through a fence, but if you do, always leave the gate the way you found it, either open or closed.  I have site maps here, someplace.  I'll look around a bit more before I draw one.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2009, 01:42:32 am »

Hey, thanks, I appreciate that.  I doubt that I will have time to go in Nov. but I was just wondering. 

Wayne