Author Topic: Help with English Longbow  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Benvse

Help with English Longbow
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:11:30 pm »
I need help Building an English longbow.  I know that the best wood is yew but I was wondering what other woods could I use.  I am not wanting to make a war bow something around 50 pounds.  I just need overall help with where to start.  I have made a few board bows and they are starting to turn out pretty nice but they are not what I really want to build.  If anyone knows any good build alongs or knows how please let me know.  I live in Illinois right across the Mississippi from St. Louis.

Offline sailordad

Re: Help with English Longbow
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:58:15 pm »
ive made elb's from hick,boo backed hick,boo baked ipe,you can use osage etc etc etc.
whats wrong with using a board for making a bow?
i use them and like them.they take a lot less time to get a working bow out of than a stave does.
but i also understand the want to start from stave and make a bow.
however ifn your tree poor like me,trading is about the only way i get staves.but lumber yards seem to have plenty of boards lol
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help with English Longbow
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 11:01:17 pm »
Benvse, I think you might get more answers from the "War Bow" thread here on PA so I'd suggest that you also post this there too. I'm sure you will get plenty of info here under "Bows" too but the experts on ELBs(English Long Bows) hang there mostly.
   I have built ELB style bows with osage, mulberry and black walnut(fretted) and I think ERC, ash and elm also work. Like any other bow style, certain design have certain needs when considering the wood used to accommodate the good and bad characteristics of the wood.
OH!  Welcome to PA.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC