Author Topic: New Bow Need help!!!  (Read 1381 times)

VenomBOWslinger

New Bow Need help!!!
« on: September 22, 2009, 01:53:27 pm »
Hello im new here and already need help...I am making a cherry bow with redoak backing... problem is i started from cherry that I split and planed down to an inch everything is and looks great except i think the middle give too much flex and the handle pops off. The bow is flat and 71 inches long and tapers from 3/4 to 1/2 inch i might have to remeasure that not exactly sure i ran upstairs to post...What should I do I know I can wrap the bow instead of gluing on a handle it looks to flat and long without something there anyway I'll wait and see what u guys think.    I dont want to start over next time i will make it thick enough to make a bit of a riser to prvent that from happening. THANKS!!!

rattlesnake

Re: New Bow Need help!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 02:01:59 pm »
make a handle that has tappered fades that slightly bend out of somthing like hickory or osage or even boo, ....then rough up both surfaces with rough sand paper and make sure nice flat suface to surface fit, clean with spirits/thinner,  then tite-bond glue and clamp tightly....should hold...snake

radius

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 02:13:18 pm »
nice to meetcha

a.  i've never heard of red oak used as a backing...usually it is a wood that ppl put a backing over...but if the grain is straight (not plain sawn, but rift cut or quarter cut) you should be okay.

b.  glued on handles will pop off if the handle bends.  You can try to avoid this by gluing on strips which are 1/16 to 1/8 in thickness and fade them down into the limbs...

c.  wrapped on handles are fine, do that

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 02:29:19 pm »
You can glue layers of leather on for a handle, they will bend with the wood and stay in place. Its the easiest fix in my book.

Black Cherry isn't the easiest wood to start with, go slow and make sure the limbs are bending evenly and throughout the length of the limb.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 02:34:29 pm »
thanks for the tips I know Oak is much more prefered to cherry I wanted to reverse thing up and try cherry with oak backing.  I will try n fade in some strips to build up thehandle area  or i just mite go ahea and wrap it with leather!  The limbs are bend quite nice i will try and get a pic up so u can see what i am talking about!  Thanks guys!!