Author Topic: New member new bow  (Read 8512 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: New member new bow
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 04:23:17 pm »
Nice job on the tiller, looks just fine.  I like the back of the bow as well, leaving bits of the cambium makes it look a little "rough", gives it a nice bit of character. 

Too bad about the lack of need for camo for hunting over there.  Pity the crowned heads still look on you as "scurvy dogs" for shooting their deer.  If you would be willing to lower yourself to visit the American Colonies, I would be willing to take you out to fulfill your true Robin Hood destiny and shoot some of our deer!  Seriously.  I'm sick of hitting the bloody things on the hiway and am now working towards their extinction, one steak at a time!.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Herm from Bavaria

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 04:30:26 pm »
welcome on pa...

nice stick you´ve done. i like the finish. is it a oil or kinda lack?

greets herm

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 07:14:43 pm »
thats sweet, the handle is awesome
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 09:06:56 pm »
  Leon,
Welcome to you. What a sweet looking bow. Really nice color. Thanks for sharing your work with us. I have a close connection to the UK, I have made many batches of homebrew using John Bull and Edme Malts!!! I'll have one to toast your fine bow!
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 02:33:00 am »
Hey Leon! - been thinking about that nock picture and i don't understand:
do you cut the nock into the BELLY of the bow,
or do you cut the nock angle backwards??
(Excuse the bad graphic!)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline dwardo

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 05:55:04 am »
Thanks again for all the comments :)

JW Halverson, i may take you up on that one day, i would love to hunt with a bow and i agree our laws are daft..

medicinewheel, im not sure what you mean. My knocks are always rubbish as i never seem to get them right and i am never happy with them. The belly in that picture is facing up. The nocks are cut into the back a tiny ammount, but mostly in the belly. The string seems to stay on without a problem but lookin at other peoples bows they seem to get away without touching the back at all. I would love to see another self bow in the flesh but it doesnt seem to be popluar around where i live. The only other wood bows i have seen are ELB`s in shops and they all have either horn knocks and are all laminates.

chasing crow, proper beer! have 2 on me :)

Bavaria, its just a polyurathane (sp?) clear varnish. It seems to work well but a few damp nights in the woods will tell..
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:58:17 am by dwardo »

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 06:39:57 am »
Oh okay, if it's the belly facing up, than the angle is right, but there is no need to cut your nock into the belly like that at all, in fact I've never seen it like that.
You can cut on the belly side as pictured below, that would give the string some guidance.

Frank from Germany...

Offline dwardo

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 08:42:56 am »
Is that still not cutting into the sides a little? I dont actually groove the back of the bow just the sides which does eat a little into the back by default?
Thats one fine looking nock by the way  ;D If you get a second i would love to see a picture of the sides and back so i can get the 3D shape in my head.

Offline broad_head

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 09:15:05 am »
Hi Leon
            Nice bow.
                           Where are you in the UK? There are a few of us primitive bow makers down in the southeast and we have the occasional get-together, would be great to meet up sometime and talk bows/bush craft.
                                                                           Peter (UK)

Offline dwardo

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 09:43:07 am »
Hi Leon
            Nice bow.
                           Where are you in the UK? There are a few of us primitive bow makers down in the southeast and we have the occasional get-together, would be great to meet up sometime and talk bows/bush craft.
                                                                           Peter (UK)

Northwest mate near chester :(
I do have access to a nice little woodland if you find you way up here at any point ;)

Offline broad_head

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 10:17:35 am »
Leon
        Thanks for the offer, may take you up on it some day. A couple of times a year we have an event at place called Flag-Fen at Peterborough, looks to be a midway point. Have a look at our website PAAS (Prehistoric archery and atl-atl society) I think you would be interested in what we do.
                                                                           Peter (UK)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 12:39:49 pm »
Got your fine weapon bookmarked under Self Bow of the Month fun. want to improve on the full draw image?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 01:42:49 pm »
Here's a couple of tip views...I was wondering about your tips as well, assumed I was looking at the belly up in the picture.

Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline dwardo

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 03:23:36 pm »
Thanks for the pictures GregB i find it much easer to get my head around it now.
Those are very cool looking knocks i will use them as inspiration for my next ones. I have some buffalo horn and some other exotic woods i can use for the stick on bits :)

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 04:13:50 pm »
The nice thing about that sort of nock is the combination of functional and beautiful!
Frank from Germany...