Author Topic: Hackberry  (Read 3537 times)

banoch

Hackberry
« on: September 19, 2009, 11:40:19 pm »
How does hackberry rate as a wood for selfbows? I have never really heard of it until I came to PA. thank you much

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hackberry
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 11:45:50 pm »
I've never used hackberry but have read good reviews of it. If I had some, I'd try it. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

banoch

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 01:00:17 am »
I hoped no one had read this yet as I just discovered the search function and answered the question myself. I hate to ask too many questions that I could at least TRY to answer myself. Thanks though

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 01:45:11 am »
BANOCH  ONE OF MY FAVROIT WOOD  IF YA GET SOME MAKE A BOW ! BROCK

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:37:31 pm »
Banoch,I have made a 64 inch,60# at 26 iches,it was very nice to work just remove bark and cadmium and have the back it has light physical weight and is very nice shooting,I didnt put any relex into the stave and it took about 11/2 inch set,I like the wood.
Now is the good old days

banoch

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 04:09:51 pm »
What is the range of Hackberry? Would it likely be found in WV? I have never seen any but then again I've never looked. A friend of mine has told me where some hedge apple,as he calls it, is. Looks like it is time for a hike. 

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 08:40:07 pm »
Hackberry grow Natively from the Rockies easterly and from Southern Canada to Florida....so they may be some near You
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

dmann

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 08:50:46 pm »
I live in Pennsylvania, this is hackberry all over and ive made multiple bows with it. Very strong wood... highly recommended

David

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 11:02:15 pm »
Just made a hackberry bow and I love it.  Too weak to hunt with, but that's my fault.  I got overzealous with the rasp.  The bow itself shoots straight and is holding up fine though.  Enjoy it!

banoch

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 11:36:37 pm »
Thanks fellers. I really don't want to buy a stave but I will if I have to. If I can happen onto some suitable woods here (I'm sure there are some) I will go at it that way, which would be my preference. I would at least like to try the whole process, tree to bow. I am going to look around here and see what we see.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 08:13:31 am »
I've made one and it turned out nice. Be careful with the initial roughing it in, you want to leave it pretty thick to begin with as the finished bow limb thickness will be greater then say osage or hickory to make the same weight. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline tombo

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 11:23:19 pm »
I like Hackberry. "Sugarberry" is the primary type that grows where I live in S. Texas. Easy to work with, tough and hard to break. My smoothest shooting bows are hackberry. Kind of a non-sexy looking wood and considered a trash tree for the most part but it slings an arrow with the best.
Tom

Offline tombo

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 11:27:46 pm »
Google search shows that you should have Hackberry in your area. It tends to grow along fence lines & creeks.
TB

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 01:05:07 pm »
I have loads of hackberry growing around me, here in North West Texas.  Got about 4 staves to work on when I get time.

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 02:53:13 pm »
Makes a great bow, similar to pecan or hickory with a lighter SG. I usually make wide limbs full width to last 10-12". Not real fast but a hard shooter when designed correctly. Have fun and good luck, looking forward to hearing how your bow comes out.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.