Author Topic: What's happening here????  (Read 4300 times)

Offline Easternarcher

What's happening here????
« on: September 17, 2009, 09:30:08 pm »
Well, I had some time tonite...(not alot mind you)...so I broke a bottle and made a point...I learned real quick that I shouldn't be knapping when I only have a couple of overhead lights to see by! ::)
Anyways I was trying to follow the practicalprimitive video on reducing bottle bottoms. It didn't work out so well I guess. Couldn't seem to flatten it out much.  And I know, my edges are real rough, like I said better lighting helps alot. I had fun tho....
Any comments?

Offline Jaeger

Re: What's happening here????
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:34:06 pm »
just get more into your stone ,I push in hard like I am trying to push through the point to the opposite edgeon the opposite face  and then pop the flake off to the side ,those are excellent for begining !!

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:35:52 pm »
My advice is to keep practicing and do not loose the desire to get better.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:38:39 pm »
make sure you are knapping below center line too .if you knapp and your platform is in the center it will be a short flake or if you get more into the stone from the center it will take a big gash all the way accross the point . some one else can probably exsplain it better than I can.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:47:19 pm »
make sure you are knapping below center line too .if you knapp and your platform is in the center it will be a short flake or if you get more into the stone from the center it will take a big gash all the way accross the point . some one else can probably exsplain it better than I can.
I think I got what you mean... I also learned that if your tired, you don't practice proper technique either. ::)
I try to make sure my platforms are below center...I got taht, just don't think I'm pushing into the center hard enough before popping the flake.

I got more bottles! ;D

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 09:48:14 pm »
Anybody  take  game  with  a  galss  bottle  head? Wondering how  they  perform,  they  seem  a little  light
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 09:53:24 pm »
I think you are pushing hard enough ,but just need to adjust the angle you point your flaker  or ishi stick straight into the edge ,pretend you are aiming it through the point try aiming it at a finger on your other hand ,dont push so hard that you make it dangerous and snap the glass and cut yourself I guess is what I mean.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 10:16:14 pm »
I think you are pushing hard enough ,but just need to adjust the angle you point your flaker  or ishi stick straight into the edge ,pretend you are aiming it through the point try aiming it at a finger on your other hand ,dont push so hard that you make it dangerous and snap the glass and cut yourself I guess is what I mean.
Got it..I'll work on another bottle maybe this weekend.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 11:30:27 pm »
Easternarcher, you're getting good advise. Be sure to set up a heavy enough platform to handle the heavier flakes.  Glass is bad to step if it's not ground well enough.

ZeNBowyer, Do a search for this thread "Buck by Aunt Jamima" ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 06:56:02 am »
They work great, Stronger than you would think.This one stuck in a rib on the opposite side and broke the Cain arrow off, and the point is still as good as new. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 07:09:26 am »
Wow Pappy! That's a great success right there!

Offline zeNBowyer

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 07:17:18 am »
Easternarcher,
  Do  you  know  the  weight  of  your  broadhead  please
zeNBowyer
"There's  something  immoral  about  abandoning  your  own  judgement"
Cowards always run in  packs
Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 08:02:18 am »
Easternarcher,
zeNBowyer
No, but I can check it tonite. I'm curious too.....

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 09:20:06 pm »
Easternarcher,
zeNBowyer

Zen', this bottle bottom weighs in at 139 grains.  The last one I did which was way back in June I think weighs in at 149 grains on my scale. A little fine tuning and I'll have a matched set! ;)

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 10:11:08 pm »
nice.  ;D i played arond with it some tonight. gets hard on the fingers after a little while.
lets just shoot it