Author Topic: Sea glass Recycled  (Read 3084 times)

Offline StevenT

Sea glass Recycled
« on: September 17, 2009, 06:36:34 pm »
Here is my first points... well, completed points. I was over at Cape Charles beach last weekend and picked up some sea glass. Here is what I did with it. I had worked on a few beer bottom points but managed to crack them. I know they aren't great, but I was happy to complete them without busting them. They still have some of the beach wear in the middle, but that shows where they came from. Really, I just haven't figured out to run a flack that far yet.  As you can see, I have some more see glass to play with.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sailordad

Re: Sea glass Recycled
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:32:15 pm »
i dont see anything wrong with them
wish my first completed points were that big
i too like the looks of the sea erosion on the points  8)

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline warhawk

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:06:01 pm »
they look great to me, i was wondering how to get the flakes on the pieces of glass i work to go across the center line?. any advie would help me> i try to go to the dropzones which have large open areas to look for glass.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:16:45 pm »
Nice. Aint nothin wrong with those.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:24:43 pm »
nice ,I like your blue one ,I bet that big peice of blue bottle you have will make a nice one too .

Offline StevenT

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 10:16:14 pm »
Thanks all. I'm learning and enjoying knapping. It aint easy.

Warhawk,
I am not sure if you were asking me about getting flakes to travel across the center line or just asking in general. I haven't figured it out. I get a long flake on the concave side of a bear bottom, but not on a flat piece of glass. I have tried both copper pressure flaker and deer tine. I have tried very sharp points and rounded points. I have also tried a notched pad. All I can get is a conical flake. I am sure someone knows the secret. I am going to the NC knapin tomorrow, so I will ask those guys.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 12:11:35 am »
well im pretty new to this knapping thing also,being doing it for about 8 months now
i ve mostly worked slabs of obsidion(volcanic glass)

one thing ive learned is that flakes dont like to travel far(without hinging) on flat surfaces,or concaved surfaces
you need to work the edge some to create some convecity so that the flakes will travel

i recomend either getting with someone who knows how to knapp
or as i did,watch all the videos you can stand on you tube
that how i learned,that and trial and error
after all this is a hobby of tonage ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 12:21:15 am »
Now that is really cool!!!  I like those points, and the glass you made them from...
Marietta, Georgia

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 10:02:54 am »
better than anything i can make.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline warhawk

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 11:25:00 am »
i was asking about getting flakes across the center line of the stone being worked. I have better luck with obsidian then perdenales from texas. i wanted to go to the knappin in Burlington NC but i have to work this weekend. if you could getthe answer please drop aline. warhawk.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 12:05:31 pm »
War,

To get those flakes to travel to the center of the point or beyond, you have to flake the edge to create a steep bevel that will "lean" toward the side you want the flake to come off.  Then, grind the edge, and either hit the edge at a slightly straight-in angle, and you should be able to peel off large, long flakes. For pressure it is the same, but instead of hitting, the edge, you're pressing flakes off.  When you pressure flake, you want to push in, and then push down.  That will peel off much longer flakes.  Just be careful...cause sometimes you will have the pressure flakes travel all the way across the surface and bite off portions of the opposite edge.   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 12:37:52 pm »
right there is a better explanaion of what I was trying to say in the other thread.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 12:45:55 pm »
thanks and i'll try it today and try to show some pics.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 06:13:51 pm »
same here.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 04:39:06 pm »
Those tips look like a great start to me. I want to get to this soon myself. I hope I can get off to a start as good as you. Pappy, How cool is that! nice job. I was just telling my wife I want to take my 1st deer with a self-made bow arrow and tip. You give me incentive!
Chasing Crow.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth