Author Topic: Red Bud.  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Red Bud.
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:23:50 am »
Anyone ever done Red Bud,I have always wanted to,You usually don't find them straight around home,but this one is pretty nice,any advice would help. :)I haven't split it yet.I thought I would give it a few weeks,The last one I split a few years ago,even tho it looked straight turned inside out so I thought I would let this dry a little before splitting. It's about 6-7 inches across the log so should be big enough for 2 bows. It seems pretty dense,Not sure what family of tree it is from,I figured Pat
or Hillbilly would tune me in on that. Guess I should read more. ;) ;D
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Timo

Re: Red Bud.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 07:47:02 am »
Pappy, I was gonna build me one of them this winter,It'll make a fine bow I am told, not sure of the sg.

I too have watched in amazement at some that I have split, as they turned into pretzels. ;D

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 07:52:48 am »
Pappy if it looks like this in the Late Summer to early Fall...it is probably one of these....... Cercis canadensis

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 08:45:54 am »
Ya Mike that's what it looks like,only this is wild in the woods,I have a lot of them in the woods
around here. Tim you are right ,the last one turned into a cork screw. I think if I wait a while before splitting it,it should do better.I plan on sawing this one right down the middle. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 09:36:42 am »
Pappy, I've always threatened to try one, too. I split a straight piece a few years ago, but like you said, it turned into a corkscrew as it split. It sure has some pretty heartwood. It's in the legume family, same as black locust, honey locust, and pinto beans. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 09:43:02 am »
 :) :) :) Pinto's ,should make a shooter then.  ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 10:07:32 am »
...or at least a pooter! ;D  I cut a stave last fall after a multi-trunked tree split. Mine is a cultivar; "Forest Pansey" with maroon leaves all season.  It's in my stave collection but I haven't given it much thought.
  Mike, around here red bud(Cercus canadensis) blooms early spring before the leaves come out and looks just like your pic. They have heart shaped leaves and like Hillbilly said is in the legume family.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 11:44:04 am »
Sounds like beer promo ;D
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 08:26:23 pm »
Your right Pat....this one Bloomed this Spring....thats an Oak Tree behind it....and the Oaks won't lose their Leaves here till the new ones come out! Really weird here...back Home the Oaks drop all their Leaves like a Maple or any other Tree...but here they refuse!!

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 08:31:54 pm »
Our red oaks(Northern and Southern I believe) hold their old leaves almost all winter but only in the "juvenile triangle" towards the center of the tree near the trunk. The rest of the leaves drop usually by the end of October. The beeches are the same.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 09:54:27 pm »
 Our oaks are evergreens.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 10:04:53 pm »
I've been lookin' for a straight tree for years,and had'nt even come near to what you found.Can't wait to see it finished.It looks to be mostly heartwood,are you going to chase a ring just like any heartwood specie?  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 05:43:50 am »
Not sure Pete ,but I was thinking I would.  :) And you are right this is the best one I have seen
in a while. I have found a lot that were straight but to short,figured if I ever made one it would have to be billets till I found this one. :)  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good