Author Topic: recurving question....again  (Read 2032 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

recurving question....again
« on: September 08, 2009, 07:32:30 pm »
Just wondering what thickness is usually the normal amount to recurve....i have my bow down to about 1.25 inches....is that too thick to boil and recurve?

-Ky
GBR!

radius

Re: recurving question....again
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:38:32 pm »
probly wanna lose a good half inch for at least 8 inches, i'd say

Offline JustAim

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:48:27 pm »
 About 3/4'' thick and no less. After you boil or steam you can remove more wood if you choose, depending on the style of recurve your wanting....meaning if your after a working or static recurve. And just a tip to make things go easier before bending, is to chase a ring on the belly side to prevent any splinters from lifting. No metal strap or any kind of belly support is needed if you do it this way.     

radius

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:50:37 pm »
hey just aim...if you work with a quarter sawn board, are you stuck using a recurving strip?  i guess so...

Offline JustAim

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:03:11 pm »
Scott, l dont work with board staves to often. l have recurved quarter sawn red oak boards before with no support and had very little splintering of the belly.....but l did steam the wood for about 2 hours before l bent them around my form. :-\

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:39:50 pm »
The thicker the wood the more likely it will splinter. 

It depends on what type of wood you are using but for a 50# bow of a wood such as HHB you can reduce the wood down to 1/2".  Osage would be the same.  A lower density wood such as Elm may need up to 5/8" thick
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 09:40:59 pm »
well I worked it down to about 3/4 of an inch from about 15 inches from the tip to the tip....i couldnt get it  all the way down to one ring but close....i think I may still get a metal strip just to be safe but now i just have to sand it smooth and get it sealed  up... thanks guys

-Ky
GBR!

Offline JustAim

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 10:44:16 pm »
3/4 is good. You could make the tips thinner l guess, but if the wood splinters on you, you wont have enough wood to work with and might have to throw the bow away and start over. lts safer to leave it alittle thicker, just in case that were to happen.