Author Topic: Bone arrow heads...  (Read 4236 times)

CodyCoyote

Bone arrow heads...
« on: September 07, 2009, 04:29:20 pm »
 Squirrel hunting today I found some bone from a cow, i think its the shin bone, I have pics. Is it bone i can make an arrow head or knife out of? Is there any places that tells me how? Any help would be appreciated. I have a 3" .410 shell for reference, Also can i see some pics of some designs for the arrow heads and things?

Here are the pics:

[IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/trapper_1/CodysBone002.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for the help,

Cody

Offline sailordad

Re: Bone arrow heads...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 04:53:32 pm »
if the bone hasnt started to deteroriate then i think you should be able to make a usable point
as long as the bone isnt to brittle
as far as making it,just cut out the rough shape and file down to size
but use a mask when doing it,the dust is bad for ya from what i hear 

good luck  and keep us posted
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 04:59:26 pm »
Besides the smell when cutting it, the dust will wreak havock on your respiratory system. Definetily wear a mask!!!!
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:15:09 pm »
Patrick(Jackcrafty) did a build along for bone arrowheads in one of his arrow build alongs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:45:41 am »
yes wear a Respirator...you never know what killed the Animal...and it can be passed on in the Bone Dust too....be safe
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 09:49:50 pm »
I was lucky an recieved 3 bone points from Jack Crafty in a point swap , an these are truly beautiful pcs. of art work an I could not believe how sharp they were. Jack made quite a few at different times, Maybe he, will chime in. See if I can pics of mine. Later Bob

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 11:33:30 pm »

Yes, wear a mask, and eye protection.    I would pour bleach on them, and on the inside of the marrow shaft.  let them sit for an hour or so,Then rinse them off, and let them dry in the sun.  The sun also helps to kill any little nasties, and helps to get rid of the bleach smell.  If you have a band saw, you can saw out the basic shape.  Then use a rasp file to file them to shape.  Then a regular bastard, or mill file to smooth them to final shape, and then sand with decreasing grit sand paper, and then, you can polish them with a white polishing compound, don't use the rouge compound, it will stain it.  But if you don't mind that, go ahead, and use that, as it will give it some character.  I made some, but don't know what I did with them.  They were diamond shaped , in other words, like a dagger blade.  They tapered from the middle, to the edges, and from back to front.  They were wedge shaped.  I left the back about 1/4 " to 3/8's " thick, and the shaft, was about 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick, and about 3/8's " wide, and the blade was about 3/4 to an inch wide, at the back, tapering to a sharp point. You can get the edge pretty sharp, and you can notch the edges, at an angle, and then take a small fine file, and bevel the back edge of the notch, down, and the front edge up, and so forth, or the front down, and back up.  this gives you a bunch of cutting edges, and something to snag on tissue, and cut and tear, causing more bleeding, as the animal moves.  I hope this helps.  It is a lot of work, but they do make beautiful points, and they were used by our ancestors, when they could not get good stone.  You can make a knife out of it also.  Just leave it the original thickness, just clean it up a bit, sanding, and polishing it , and taper the edges, or one edge, if you prefer.  You can make it like the arrow head, or like a modern blade, and you can take a jewelers saw, and put micro notches, in it, and do the same as the arrow head, and you should be able to cut with it.  You won't get the edge you could get with a stone, but it will do the job.

Wayne

Offline smokeu

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 11:33:46 am »
you can break it up and should be able to see how hard or soft it is, and deffinatly check out jack crafty>>> He is the man!!

Mike
Longview, TEXAS