Author Topic: There's nothing like a stave  (Read 8767 times)

Offline MaceG

There's nothing like a stave
« on: September 07, 2009, 03:38:20 am »
     Tried a red oak board bow. Had it tillered. Broke the second time I strung it. Just seemed wrong from the beginning. Flat, dry, coarse, dimensioned lumber with a barcode sticker. That ain't no way to start a bow.
     So today, I grabbed up my hatchet, climbed up a ditch bank, stuck my hand in god only knows what kind of poo, waded through the briars and weeds and chiggers and got me red maple to turn into staves.
     Came out scratched up, dirty and soaked with sweat.
     Now, that's the way to start a bow.
     There's a connection there you just can't get with a board.
Set happens - Jawge

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: There's nothing like a stave
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:26:02 am »
its happened to many times,thats why i tried a board bow
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 09:37:15 am »
Ain't nothing wrong with Board Bows....Big Archery Companies made them ands sold them for Years ...mostly every Bow that was made for Hunting...Schools and Target Shooting when I was a Kid were all Board (dimensional lumber) Bows....may have been Hickory or Lemonwood....but a Board just the same.just have to pick a good Board....and coax the Bow from within it......JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JustAim

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 10:07:47 am »
l hear ya Mace. l've made a few board bows but l have way better luck with tree staves. And the adventure you had sounds alot like mine....just about a month ago l was out in the woods in 100 degree heat cutting down ash trees for firewood and bow staves, dripping in sweat and fighting off mosquitos when my chainsaw went psycho on me and damn near cut my foot off. Good times :D 

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 10:50:36 am »
too bad a bot your bow,good luck with the staves
personaly, i think thers nothing like mking a board bow.
i prefer staves,but i can make a board bow soooo much quicker than from a stave
plus for about $10 i can make several board bows to help put those smiles, we all love so much, on other peoples faces :) ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:11:53 am »
Chasing a ring on a board is a nice way of getting back to the "natural order" of a stave.

Cutting wood yourself can be a bit of an adventure.  Try doing it in the dead of night  >:D
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 11:40:28 am »
Yup...can't beat the price of a stave youve 'found' or cut yourself.
And splitting it is always exciting, will it twist or run off? where to make that split...?
You are starting the bow as soon as you see the tree or log, in immediate connection with the wood, it's just your job to tease the bow out of it.
Someone asked me if I was interested in buying a bow the other day...
I said..
'Buy...bow... ??? sorry I don't understand the concept  ::)
Tell us the price of that Maple again... Nuthin' ? Thought so, and you got some exercise too and avoided any domestic chores O:)...what a bargain   ;D
Del
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:43:54 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline MaceG

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 11:57:02 am »
   Exactly, Del.
A stave is like a daughter, a board is like your daughter's boyfriend.  ;D
Set happens - Jawge

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 01:47:10 pm »
I have not had good luck with board bows. I enjoy the whole process of taking a stave from a tree and making a bow out of it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline cracker

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 01:58:44 pm »
I like them both I think it may be a bit strange that the best bow I ever built was out of a board since I do lean a little toward a stave.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 02:00:35 pm »
A stave is like a daughter, a board is like your daughter's boyfriend.  ;D
<flump thud...falls off chair laughing>
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 02:20:37 pm »
When you guys find an Ipe tree growing in your back yard let me know.  There are so many exceptional types of wood that don't grow everywhere that it would be really silly to handycap yourself by discriminating against boards.  Of course I look at it a little different. If you have a hard time with a board bow, I think you need to make more not less. Anything that is difficult makes you a better bowyer.

As for cost, well that is all perspective. A $4 board from the store on the corner is a lot cheaper than $20 worth of gas and 3 hours to go cut a tree. A trip to the hospital to take care of the hernia from loading that 600# log. Then you have time splitting, drying, chasing a ring, and that is all before you can start roughing it out.

If you aren't breaking a few you aren't pushing the enough.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline woodstick

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 03:48:00 pm »
thats the way to do it right there. good luck.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline JustAim

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 04:52:22 pm »
When you guys find an Ipe tree growing in your back yard let me know.  There are so many exceptional types of wood that don't grow everywhere that it would be really silly to handycap yourself by discriminating against boards.  Of course I look at it a little different. If you have a hard time with a board bow, I think you need to make more not less. Anything that is difficult makes you a better bowyer.

As for cost, well that is all perspective. A $4 board from the store on the corner is a lot cheaper than $20 worth of gas and 3 hours to go cut a tree. A trip to the hospital to take care of the hernia from loading that 600# log. Then you have time splitting, drying, chasing a ring, and that is all before you can start roughing it out.

If you aren't breaking a few you aren't pushing the enough.  Justin

l'm not speaking for anyone else but for me its cheaper and much more fun to cut down and split my own bow wood, since l live in the country l have to drive about 30 miles one way to find a store that sells decent wood for bow making. So its better for me to just walk out behind my house and cut a tree down, and l'm in no hurry to make bows away so waiting a few months for it to dry aint nothing. Ipe and osage are both excellent bow woods, but any decent bow wood can equal or out perform ipe or osage if made properly and l have great bow making woods just 50 yards from the house. And besides, l'm out there cutting firewood for winter anyway so why not...   

Offline MaceG

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 05:02:46 pm »
It's the closest a man can come to giving birth.  ;D
Set happens - Jawge