Author Topic: Dying Feathers  (Read 14975 times)

Offline chasing crow

Dying Feathers
« on: September 05, 2009, 01:55:09 pm »
Oh Great Arrow Masters,
I bought some flu flu arrows from Three Rivers a few weeks ago. I just tipped them and headed out squirrel hunting this morning.(first time hunting with a bow)
I loved being out with the bow! No squirrels seen but stump shooting was great and I feel fairly confident after this outing. But I noticed right away I had a problem. The arrows have white feathers. Great to assist in finding them in the weeds and such, but as soon as deer season comes in, these big white feathers are a really bad idea!!
What is the best way to dye or color feathers? I would still like to keep them bright and visible.
Chasing Crow
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Dying Feathers
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 02:23:38 pm »
Add bars like on turkey feathers with a magic marker. That should be enough to break them up.
  You won't be hunting deer with flu flus so all white shield or parabolic cut feathers shouldn't be a problem. Lots of deer hunters use all white feathers for fletching.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 04:42:53 pm »
I don't worry about that white fletching....I fletch a lot of my hunting arrows with white feathers....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 05:08:15 pm »
 I fletch mine in white also. It is easier to see if you got a good hit or not.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 10:09:27 pm »
Maybe I'm a little cautious but when I have two big white spots,  I worry about some idiot letting fly a broad at the nice white "tail" showing through an opening in the brush. But, I do appreciate all of the input.
Chasing Crow

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 07:14:01 pm »
I like white fletchings myself, too. But white feathers are easy to dye with Rit clothes dye that you can pick up at Walmart or almost any grocery store.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 09:06:11 pm »
Well fellas, I guess you have eased my mind. I thank each of you for your help!
Chasing Crow

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 07:12:08 am »
I do like Pat,black marker,I also don't like having a big white glob on my back,I hunt private land but now days you never know.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:43:43 am »
I do like Pat,black marker,I also don't like having a big white glob on my back,I hunt private land but now days you never know.  :)
   Pappy

now thats a point i didnt consider. i guess with all the morons in the woods these days you never know huh?
lets just shoot it

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 10:10:09 pm »
Why not dye them a different colour? Chartreuce, flo-orange or even blue or pink....you won't lose 'em and won't get shot either.
Try Rit dye with a little vinegar in the mix to set the colour. Some even use Koolaid for variety of colours.

Up here Some people do worry alot about the "crazy" hunters in the woods but I haven't ever had a problem. PErsonally I use Bright yellow Fletches or barred turkey dyed yellow or red.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 09:57:09 am »
I don't worry about them to much here  either,never had a problem either,but the way I figure it
you might only have to have the problem once. :) Years ago the deer at least in gun season had to have horns,now you can take 3 doe a day with a gun all season,so some may just be looking for a white flash. So I am a little more careful.Don't worry about anyone shooting with a bow it's
them smoke poles and long guns I worry about.  ;) ;D
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 09:07:21 pm »
Thanks for all of the input fellas. I am the safety guru at work and teach firearm safety to young shooters. It's always on my mind naturally, I guess. But, I will try the Writ Dye and vinager. Bright yellow should work great!
Thanks Again,
Chasing Crow 

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 10:33:49 pm »
Pappy....you mean to say that in Tennessee....you can shoot three Flattops a Day ....every day for all of the Deer Season?? that is freakin Ridiculous! Is there that dang many Deer....or is the DNR just trying to rid the States of Tennessee of all of it's Deer Population? Just curious because ever since Michigan did this in the late 80's....Yhey started giving You as Many Doe Tags as you could fill....then one year they had a bad Viral Pneumonia Spread through the Herd one Winter....and now where you could Spotlight a 100 deer in a Rutabaga or Kohlrabi Field....now it would take You a whole Week to see that many Deer.....Upper Michigan used to be a deer Hunters Paradise....till the DNR tried to help.... >:(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 11:14:08 pm »
Mike, Ga allows for 10 does per season and in the last few years you can buy extra tags when you fill your regular tag. Only 2 bucks each year and one has to be 4 pts on both sides or better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 07:07:46 am »
You don't even need extra tags in TN. 3 a day for gun/muzzler loader and the 2 youth hunts.3 bucks total,what ever you kill them with.Archery it's 3 doe a day but only 1 buck a day.Ya Mike we had that year before last and lost some deer in certain areas but when they have 2 or 3 a year it
don't take long for them to get back up.It don't happen here as bad as in some places that
bating is legal.Our deer are more spread out so it  don't spread near as bad or so it seems.Also
we have 0 winter kill. So if we don't shoot them they almost all make it through. It don't always seem like there are that many on my place when I am hunting but last year they eat .I mean clean
6 to 7 acres of beans.  :) So ya we have a lot of deer/Turkey,wished they would let you kill 3 or 4
a day of them,hens or Toms. They are really getting thick and a nuance.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good