Author Topic: Cooking Coral  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Bill Skinner

Cooking Coral
« on: September 03, 2009, 11:45:42 pm »
I just got a 30 pound chunk of raw coral.  Nice and translucent.  What temp do you cook it at?  I have worked raw coral and I don't want to again.  Bill

jreb

Re: Cooking Coral
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 06:56:56 pm »
How are you cooking it? a kiln , toaster oven , turkey roaster or in the ground ? And it depends how thick the spalls are , but 550 and 3-4 hrs hold time is usually good. I need a kiln bad , but my best method is abo style dig a small depression and lay the spalls out not touching each other and make sure the tops of all the spalls are level with each other ,then cover with about 2" - 3" of DRY sand and pack the sand on top and then spred a 20# bag of charchol even across and light and "set it and forget it " . and allow for a day to TOATALLY cool down slowley with out disturbing the sand or blanks ' i know its hard' . When done they shoulb be good and glassy with color change . If some didnt treat all the way its ok you can flip them and add them to the next batch rather than blowing up good rock by getting it to hot , Hope this helps - john

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 07:22:20 pm »
 I spall it and cook it in a toaster oven at 450 all night. It's worked on quite a bit , so far.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 07:44:45 pm »
I need a kiln bad

I still have one ....not a Kiln for Clay....but an Oven for Welding Rods....goes to 550 degrees....and still works just fine....still looking for a Taker on it....I thought I had someone....but they have never emailed Me back......

Looks just like this one....but not as Pretty....but still works just fine

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 03:29:43 am »

El D......a kiln for welding rods?  What kind of rods?  Never heard of heat treating welding rods...... :o

Wayne

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 09:38:00 am »
All of Our Chrome...Stainless...Monel...Hasteloy....Inconell....and even 8014 Low/Hydrogen Rod has to be kept at 350-400 degrees when not being used...and turned in every 8 Hours to be reheated if you still have it out in the Field Welding....new specs for the Refinery...trying to keep Moisture Content down in the Flux I guess...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 10:22:01 am »
Mike if its 110V I would be interested in it :) Strap it on your bike next time ya come home eh ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 01:34:02 pm »
Mike if its 110V I would be interested in it :) Strap it on your bike next time ya come home eh ;D

It.s 110 volt alright
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Loki

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 03:53:44 pm »
.and turned in every 8 Hours to be reheated if you still have it out in the Field Welding....new specs for the Refinery...trying to keep Moisture Content down in the Flux I guess...

We had to use portable ovens for the Hydrogen rods,as soon as they came out of the stores you put them into your oven what clipps onto your belt.Bloody inspectors would check the temp of your oven/rods and the steel you were welding' usually when your screen was down  >:D .
Durham,England

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 04:22:13 pm »
Yeah...We have Portable Rod Ovens too....and Insulated Rod Caddy's that you put on your Belt to Hold them...
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 02:10:46 am »

What ever happened to good ol coat hangers! ;D

Wayne

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 04:43:14 am »

What ever happened to good ol coat hangers! ;D

Wayne
Or an Acetylene Torch and a Roll of Baling Wire!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 04:15:11 pm »
 I sure remember welding expansion chambers on dirt bikes with a torch and coat hanger.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 04:19:12 pm »
I sure remember welding expansion chambers on dirt bikes with a torch and coat hanger.

So do I....and welding Exhausts on my Roundy-Round Car with whatever I could find.....Baling Wire....Tie Wire....Clothes Hangers....Man are We letting them all know Our Age..... :P
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 06:38:26 pm »
Yes but what about Bills original question.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah