Author Topic: Cooking Coral  (Read 6617 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Cooking Coral
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 07:04:04 pm »
Bill i use my cookin oven. i got those aluminum cookin trays the kind you cook a turkey in.. i fill those with sand and put the rocks in the sand.
 I've cooked coral the same way. like Eddie said 450*
Happy knappin to ya.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 07:09:45 pm »
Yes but what about Bills original question.  ;D

450 degrees....for 8-10 hours....let cool down slowly.....oh....and make sure that you don't try to cook the whole thing in one Piece....may just explode and take out the Wife's Oven ......good enough Mr. Snyder...... >:D.... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 07:58:58 pm »
Follow up.  I cooked it at 450 and let it cool down.  I then proceeded to turn it into fish tank gravel.  I have broken every point I started in the last two days.  The rock is great, the knapper is going to a 3-D shoot and calm down.  Bill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 10:01:30 pm »
 Hey Justin, Look at all the FREE extra knowledge he gained. Just like that long journey down the road of life; you might get sidetracked from time to time. ;D ;) :P
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jcinpc

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 04:31:47 am »
I use a cut in half water heater filled with sand(Claude,lol)  I bury my coral an inch to 2 inches , I control my temps with depth, you never said what color your coral is. Clear/bleish will fire china white, it can take up to 600 the "gem" qulity coral will take less as its more sensitive to the heat.I put 1 bag of charcoal on the top evenly and light it, its a 3 day from start to heat to cool down.