Author Topic: what glue to use?  (Read 4703 times)

natty

what glue to use?
« on: September 03, 2009, 09:47:10 am »
i'm going to give a try at making a pecan/boo laminate bow. i was wondering what kind of glue to use. i was thinking of hide glue but i'm not sure.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Re: what glue to use?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 09:54:25 am »
others will chime in that have much more experience than i do when it comes to laminate bows.

although i think hide glue would work and it is the most "primitive" i think there are other glue out there that are much much better from a durability, waterproof, easy-of-use standpoint. i'm not sure what everyone is usign lately but i know Urac 185 is a popular glue, it has great gap filling properties and it is really cheap, you can get it directly from nelson paint co. such google "urac 185". you can also use titebond 3, i have used TB3 to glue on a hickory backing and it worked just fine.
45# at 27"

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 09:55:40 am »
I've only used Tite-Bond 2 and 3, without any trouble before.  Haven't worked with Pecan.  May be better ideas?
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 10:22:08 am »
Tite-Bond glues are fine for this glue-up(cheap, easy and clean up easily) although pecan(a hickory) isn't the best option for a boo backing.IMO! Hide glue will work too and in many cases is superior to many other glues in strength. It is messy and tedious to deal with but some of the strongest glues out there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TBod

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 10:46:42 am »
How much costs TB 3 (946 ml). I payed about 40 Us dollars for that in Sweden, not cheep over here..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:57:15 am »
TBod, any carpenters or woodworker type glue should work fine. Tite-Bond is a PVA type glue. There should be an equivalent type in Sweden.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TBod

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 11:01:17 am »
Yeah there are several alternatives. Just curious about the price..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 11:02:33 am »
export/import duties!  ::) 

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 12:00:50 pm »
I would use either Urac 185 or Weldwood Resorcinal (sp?) for it. (for gap filling abilities) Urac is my personal choice because Resorcinal will leave a purple glue line. Urac leaves a brown line. Carpenter wood glues like TB require a tight joint to work properly.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 12:12:56 pm »
Another option that I believe is available in Europe is Weldwood Plastic Resin. It is very similar to Urac(urea glue) but comes in powder form that you mix with water. A guy from Italy(Alberto from years back) used this plastic resin with very good results. I have used it on occasion and never had problems with it.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 12:59:29 pm »
After my last build, of IPE/Boo, I did with TBIII, I think from now on I will only use Urac for projects like this. 

I can't say it failed, but noticed during the transition between winter/spring/summer (yes took em a long time to finish) I had glue creep.  Some days when humidity was bad, I would feel the transition between boo and IPE.  I would sand down flush, and feel it again later. 

Maybe I should have sealed the combo earlier.  But I will only use Urac from now on.
Westminster, MD

natty

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 02:03:57 pm »
the pecan did not turn out so i used some sweet gum or maple which everone it is it's real springy. so i ripped that out into 1/4slats that i'll splice inthe handle

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 03:51:10 pm »
How much costs TB 3 (946 ml). I payed about 40 Us dollars for that in Sweden, not cheep over here..

TBod, it's about $9.95 here.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TBod

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 05:11:25 pm »

TBod, it's about $9.95 here.

Thats cheap. Good then I´ll ask my neigbor to buy some for mee when he goes next week.
Thanks

natty

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 09:43:21 pm »
thank ya'll for the input ;D ;D