Author Topic: good tools  (Read 5980 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

good tools
« on: September 01, 2009, 08:37:03 pm »
what are some basic bow making tools that you just cant do without?i would like to hear the top 5 most necessary tools from everyone in their own opinion and why.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: good tools
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 08:49:50 pm »
Hatchet (roughing out) , draw knife (roughing out) , Swedish push knife (scraping, tillering and ring chasing) , curved shave hook (ring chasing) , Surform (rough tillering), That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 08:51:11 pm »
Drawknife for removing large amounts of material.  Spokeshave for finer material removal, but still for removing material to get down to dimension.  Then a cabinet scraper with a well tuned up edge or old hunting knife sharpened to a razor edge to scrape small amounts of material in the tillering stage.  The spokeshave could be replaced with an agressive wood rasp.  

I have recently cheated and purchased a quarter sheet random orbital sander.  Oh man!!!!!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JustAim

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 08:55:28 pm »
Not to long ago we had a talk about this subject. Heres the link: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5289.0.html

The tools l use the most is a belt sander and a draw knife for roughing out the bows shape. For tillering the bow l use a scraper and a belt sander.....for final tillering l use a scraper. Dont use power tools if your just starting out.    
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:09:04 pm by JustAim »

Offline woodstick

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:49:06 pm »
draw knive for all my shapeing, files to work down belly when i am starting tiller and handle work, then a scraper for finale tiller, and alot of sandpaper.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 10:56:04 pm »
Draw knife for removing large portions of wood and bark. a good wood rasp and a good scraper. The only other tool I would hate to loose in my 14" band saw but for many years and lots of wood removal it was a draw knife. OH! I guess sandpaper for number 5.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline woodstick

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 10:58:42 pm »
oh i forgot a mason jar to burnish the wood with. good cheap tool.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:02:25 am »
I like a heavy draw knife.  Good set of scrapers.  Good vise or bench. Nich 49 rasp.  4 in 1 rasp.
Westminster, MD

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 09:55:41 am »
Scrapers first, I have them all but use my scissors sharpened with an Accusharp scissors sharpener the most.
from the left, Bowyer's edge (never could sharpen it just right, chatter chatter...), Mystic bow scraper, not great, scraper from Loyd in MO, made lots of bow with this one, cabinet scrapers, very nice, necessary especially the round nose for cleaning around pins on osage, and my favorite, a half pair of scissors, cheap, sharpen in 15 seconds and cut like crazy but a course cut not smooth like the cabinet scrapers. The Accusharp scissors sharpener is on the far right.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:14:21 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 10:11:08 am »
Other tools, Nicholson #49 pattern makers rasp, Nicholson half round course file, chain saw file for nocks, draw knife, cabinet scrapers.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:15:19 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 10:13:43 am »
...and of course, Eric's "gizmo"!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 10:16:39 am »
Yep, gota' have a gizmo.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 10:23:19 am »
Eric's 2nd picture is about all I use,except fot the band saw. ;) :) Done many without the saw but I would sure miss it now. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 12:35:07 pm »
Here is my list, like the others you will see that it is pretty basic.

- Bandsaw, being able to rough out a stave in 10 minutes is a real treat, however if i didn't have a bandsaw a nice sharp broad axe (that is one that is flat on one side) would suffice.

- drawknife, can't be without a couple, one dull for chasing a ring, one sharp for actual cutting.

- spokeshave, quickly becoming my favorite bow building tool, love it, love it, love it.

- ferriers rasp, i use my cheap ferriers rasp more than i use my expensive rasps because i can't hog off wood with #50 without it plugging up on me.

- Nicholson 49 or 50 or UBR10, unmatchable performance when more controlled wood removal is needed.

- card scrapers, the one and only tool for final tillering as far as i'm concerned.

If you omit the bandsaw and expensive file i'd image you could pick up the other tools: hatchet, drawknife, spokeshave, ferriers rasp, and card scraper for about 50 bucks if you got some from 2nd hand stores, flea markets etc.

you don't need a lot of tools to make really good bows, just search "hatchet bow" and see what people have done with only one simple tool.

45# at 27"

Grunt

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 08:29:58 pm »
Bandsaw, a 6x48 belt sander, a good vise, a sharp spokeshave with a curved blade, a Nich 49 rasp, and a bowscraper. That's six but I'm a tool fiend.