Author Topic: a crazy thought  (Read 3026 times)

natty

a crazy thought
« on: August 31, 2009, 03:19:07 pm »
would heart pine do for arrow shafting material? it's straight grained,hard,sorta flexible, and practicly comes with it's own water proofing ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: a crazy thought
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:23:01 pm »
Heart pine should make good heavy shafting. Be sure the grain is straight because it is more brittle than white pine or other pines.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 04:17:44 pm »
Pine makes good shafts if you've got a good piece of wood to begin with.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 07:55:42 pm »
 I've seen some arrows made from Heart Pine. They were small in diameter because they were heavier. A friend has a bend in the handle bow out of "lighter knot", heart oine. You can hold it up to the sun and it is transluscent.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline newknapper

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 01:28:09 am »
I've seen some arrows made from Heart Pine. They were small in diameter because they were heavier. A friend has a bend in the handle bow out of "lighter knot", heart oine. You can hold it up to the sun and it is transluscent.

Now I would love to see a pic of that. Didnt relize you could make a bow out of a lighterd knot.

natty

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 09:01:09 am »
i'v been using heart pine for my ''modified atlatl'' darts it does nicely. i put the measurements for ''my''modified atlatl on PRIMITIVE SKILLS section of this form i would like someone to try it maybe and tell me if i'm off the wall or not ;D

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 09:30:15 am »
now there is one heck of an idea. i have alot of it, and have played around for it some and found no use other than lighting things. good luck, and let us know how it works for you.

Mr. Eddie, if you have a pic of that, id like to see it for sure. pine knot (heart pine) is really pretty stuff.
lets just shoot it