Author Topic: more tillering help please  (Read 3683 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

more tillering help please
« on: August 31, 2009, 02:16:45 pm »
when both my limbs are roughly even and i still need to take off a lot of weight should i just take wood of the midsection or the whole limb or what? :-\ :-[
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: more tillering help please
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 02:29:02 pm »
you want to SLOWLY take wood from the entire limb(s)  EVENLY.  exercise the limbs about 20 or 30 times between each scraping to let the wood show any changes from the scraping.  If you haven't been to Jawge's site yet I strongly reccommend you do.   Lots of useful tillering information there.   Good luck on your first bow!!!!  Go to Jawge's site!!!!!!!!! 

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:17:40 pm »
If the limbs are bending evenly, remove wood from the entire length in even swipes of the scraper and not little ones.  As soon as you see uneven bending remove wood from the stiff areas and leave the bending area alone. Once they even out go back to long even strokes.   Be sure your limbs bend from the fade areas through the entire limb until you get to the last 4" and leave that area stiff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 03:40:22 pm »
Like everyone is saying.  I'll usually do about 5 scrapings then exercise the bow.  Hopin' in turns out positive for ya.
1’—>1’

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 03:46:19 pm »
...and be patient!!! ;)  We all know how hard it is to scrape and scrape and have the bow not bend but if you rush, it WILL bend too much. :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 03:51:04 pm »
i was hoping to get the bow done by tomorrow but you guys are right i should just take my time and it will be done later,maybe a week

Offline Josh

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 03:59:29 pm »
yeah if you rush it you will make a mistake.  Someone else on here is fond of saying "You can take wood off, but it sure is hard to put back on".   So go slow, and then go slower.  And then when you start getting impatient with it and want to take off more wood faster, it is time to set it to the side and do something else for a little while and then come back to it.   That's what I had to do with my first few bows.  Now I just enjoy the process more than the final outcome.  I find it relaxing.   :)   -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 04:08:58 pm »
Thanks, Josh. Parnell, I even count the scrapes so I take off the same amount on both limbs. Exercise at partial draw for 20-30 times and check tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 05:26:55 pm »
ya after taking wood off i always exercise it 30 times

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 05:28:29 pm »
oh ya i forgot to ask if the tiller is even sould it not break if i pull it back more?like if it is even at 13", can i be assured that it wont break at 14 and then 15?even if its hard to pull there?

Offline Josh

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 05:36:26 pm »
you never want to pull it past your intended draw weight.  Like if you are shooting for a 50lb bow and it is 50lbs at 13 inches, you don't want to pull it to 14 inches untill you remove more wood.  Make sense?

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 05:48:56 pm »
it makes sense, so if its bending evenly and not close to my draw weight its a good idea to bring it up an inch?

Offline Josh

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 05:53:15 pm »
can you take some pictures of where you are at now?  It will be easier for us to help you if you had some pictures of the bow. 

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 07:54:41 pm »
here is a picture at 13"

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 08:10:35 pm »
ohhhh yeah keep on scrapin there man, you got a ways to go yet, it doesn't even look ready to low brace yet